Grand Voyager 2007 2.8 Crd Auto Exec Gearbox Ok?

GavinG

Question

I just bought my first Chrysler. Very nice car, much smoother than Kia Sedona I had before, but, I have a few worries. The first is the gearbox. At 2000 rpm the car does 56mph which seems quite low gearing and makes me think it is not getting into top gear. Can anybody with the same Voyager tell me what speed their car does at 2000 rpm please so as to either put my mind at rest or make me burst into tears.

11 answers to this question

I just thought I'd check this tonight on my way home (2005 2.8CRD auto) and that sounds about right.

Remember these are very old style American slushy boxes, so they've not got a great gear ratio, but they do learn.

Mine was doing exactly what you said, around 2k rpm it was 50 and above. I didn't force it down to the 3 shift but I'd expect it to have dropped if I did that. I pushed it up to 70mph and it didn't push the revs too much over 2.5k rpm so looks the same as mine to me.

This is interesting since this is the first auto that i've owned,and i've got a steep incline as i leave the house,my 1,6 tdci goes up it no problem in 1st gear, the 2.8 crd struggles in D ,it manages better if I use the L position.

The incline is roughly 10 metres high over 20 metres long (it's quite steep )

2100kRPM gives me 62MPH.

.1. @ a steady 40+MPH on a 70MPH flat road you should be in 4th - floor it - should drop 2/3 pegs and you do a schumacher.

.2 @ a steady 70+MPH on a 70MPH flat road in 'cruise control' - cancel cruise and drop speed to 31MPH - re-enable your pre-set cruise - and you do a schumacher.

- "caveat emptor" - what happens ?

Hey @@GavinG what size tyres are fitted?

Mine were wrong when I got it, too low a profile - tyre bays!!!!!!!!!! On a previous Ford Galaxy, all 4 tyres were different, 3 wrong profile (aspect ratio, proportion of width giving height) - 60 instead of 65 - and 3 were rotating the wrong way. Awesome.