Newbie With Indicator Problems. G Voyager 2005 Lx Crd

RichardV

I have a 2005 Grand Voyager LX CRD that has developed a problem with the direction indicators.

All bulbs are traditional incandescent ones and all work fine when the hazard lights are activated. However, when I indicate to turn either right or left the flashing goes into fast mode and the rear lights are hardly visible.

I have checked the ground contacts and those seem fine. I have checked the  towing socket and switch as I know those can cause issues too but they are OK as well.

Does anyone have any experience of anything similar and if so, how did you resolve it?

Also, does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram for a UK spec 2005 Chrysler Grand Voyager? All of the sites I can find are heavily US centric and the diagrams there do not seem to match.

Thanks in advance!

In my 2002, I had fast flashing indicators. Turned out I had put a fuse in the wrong slot in a small fuse box in the boot. Returned it to the correct position, and the indicators went back to normal.
If this fuse has blown, it would probably have the same effect, or the equipment it is powering could be the cause. 
It was tucked up behind where the jack is kept, can't remember exactly how to access it now, but it's in there somewhere. Possibly behind some sound deadening or similar. 

Thanks Soupstone. Yes I saw an earlier post, possibly also from you, that mentioned those fuses. In my vehicle they were taped (fairly loosely) to the side of the bulkhead in the jack storage compartment. I think that they were probably added there when the towing kit was fitted. I'll add in a photo once I have worked out how to upload them here! In my case there are two fuses a 15A fuse in slot 21 and a 7.5A one in slot 19. As far as I can tell they are both good. It would be good to understand what they do so that I can confirm that the associated wiring is all good too.  I have swapped the fuse for new ones and made sure the contacts were clean etc but it has not changed anything with the flashers.

I am tempted to try to retro-fit an old fashioned separate flasher relay unit as was used on the earlier Voyagers but to do that I need to be able to identify the connections on the fusebox/IPM so if anyone could point me in the direction of a connection diagram for that, I'd be grateful.

• 2 weeks later...

I have now sorted this issue. The problem is somewhere in the towing kit electrics and as I don't need them I have disconnected them altogether. The towing kit is a Chrysler one probably dealer fitted. The harness was connected in behind the rear light lights on both sides with an extra length of cable terminated with a male connector on one end and a female one on the other with the towing harness attached in between.  I found the connectors only after I had removed the interior panels but had I known I could have disconnected them from inside the light housings themselves. If you have a similar setup then just pulling the connectors free from the bulkheads with their grommets will reveal the additional lengths of cable and the original connectors and their grommets connected behind them. The towing electrics can be disconnected, wrapped in something suitable to stop them rattling and pushed back through the bulkhead. The original connectors can then be pulled through, their grommets fitted back into the holes and the lights connected back to the original harness.