Delta Fuel Cap Not Unlocking?

Nello

Question

Anyone else experienced this? Mine does not seem to want to open despite the doors all being unlocked. Supposed to lock/unlock off the same system.

I have actually had to result to leaving the Red emergency cable exposed in the rear boot now to manually pull open?

Edited by Nello

Rufty try the hinge technic. If not as Rosso says - the emergency release is in the boot. Its bright red so you can't miss it. Pull the release with your left hand and at the same time push in on the flap with your right. It will open. 

Edited by Nello

I have recently started to have this problem and it now refuses to open (even with force) when the car is unlocked. What I've found I have to do is just keep unlocking the car using the remote button on the key until the fuel cap also unlocks - usually takes two or three attempts until the cap also unlocks...it's annoying but for now I don't mind putting up with it.

I have recently started to have this problem and it now refuses to open (even with force) when the car is unlocked. What I've found I have to do is just keep unlocking the car using the remote button on the key until the fuel cap also unlocks - usually takes two or three attempts until the cap also unlocks...it's annoying but for now I don't mind putting up with it.

Have you opened the flap and then given it a good wiggle up and down so that it re-seats the hinge? Also try some electrical contact cleaner in the lock side too...

Another suggestion.... I had the same problem recently and greased the lock post to which the cap connects.  This seems to have fixed the problem - now runs in and out smoothly. 

Also have had a problem with the filler cap itself - the torque ratchet seems to have broken so it was just spinning instead of unscrewing. Required the dexterity of a safe breaker to get it off!  I bought a replacement from Bremmer on eBay and it fits well and doesn't have a ratchet so unlikely to have a similar problem in future.

Just as an addendum to this - my filler flap has not played up since with regard to opening however I noticed yesterday that I can now open it regardless as whether the car is locked or not?

Am I going mad or is this normally not possible? It should lock with the door locks shouldn't it?

Just as an addendum to this - my filler flap has not played up since with regard to opening however I noticed yesterday that I can now open it regardless as whether the car is locked or not?

Am I going mad or is this normally not possible? It should lock with the door locks shouldn't it?

Yes I can confirm you are definitely barking mad.... :P  :lol:

On another note and in answer to your question it should lock when you lock the car. I've just checked mine and it's locked, although annoyingly it does stick out a little and doesn't sit flush with the bodywork.

I followed this thread over the past year or so.....I was slightly puzzled as my filler cap has never been a problem......BUT,unlike you fellas , my Delta flap opens whether the central locking is open or shut.Just a clenched fist,and a lightish thump and it's open!

I'm certain mine used to but as you say Mike it seems it doesn't sit entirely flush with the bodywork? Maybe I've 'unhinged' it somewhat? Definately an item that suffered from a lack of R&D!

Yeah I'm not entirely sure it's the hinge at fault but more the locking push rod thingy? When you push the flap closed the push locking bar rotates back into its hole in a locked position against the flap. What I can't work out is how to get the push bar to pull itself further into the housing body if that makes sense? It is held in place by a screw (or two) so I might have to undo it and see if there is any obvious adjustment. I reckon you could pull mine open even when locked as you can get your finger tips behind it, it sticks out that much!

eper shows the release Mech is shared with the Alfa Giulietta so I might look  to swap and see if that makes a difference..... Will report findings!

Theres a Alfa Workshop 'How-to' to remove here - http://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/Alfa_Giulietta_petrol_flap_release_solenoid_pivot_pin_replacement.shtml

Sure looks the same..........

Edited by Nello

eper shows the release Mech is shared with the Alfa Giulietta so I might look  to swap and see if that makes a difference..... Will report findings!

Theres a Alfa Workshop 'How-to' to remove here - http://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/Alfa_Giulietta_petrol_flap_release_solenoid_pivot_pin_replacement.shtml

Sure looks the same..........

We're .... patiently waiting....

I love the picture guide that link shows... I bet £20 it doesn't come out as easily as that guide shows lol

Sorry Mikey - not got around to even getting the bit yet let alone fitting! 

delboy - if you remove the cover inside the boot delve around in there - its bright red - you cannot miss it. As mentioned earlier I find it works best by using your left hand to pull on the red emergency release whilst simultaneously pressing in on the flap with your right. 

Edited by Nello

Sorry Mikey - not got around to even getting the bit yet let alone fitting! 

I find it works best by using your left hand to pull on the red emergency release whilst simultaneously pressing in on the flap with your right. 

I was kinda hoping you'd be the guinea pig lol... 

Was that second sentence supposed to sound like a line from a carry on film!? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Had the same trouble on my newly acquired Delta today. Had to drive out of the pumps!! Anyway just hit it hard with my palm rather than pussyfoot with my thumb and it worked!! Where's the red pull thing, all I can see are electrics wires?