Delta Hunting...

MikeyRules

Question

Hi Guys,

New to the forum and looking to get into a Delta after having driven a few of them with their 'proper' badges on in Italy. :P  I must say I really like the quirky styling and both the 1.6 diesel and 1.4ma went really well. Shame they've discontinued them in the UK already!!

I think I want a 1.4 MultiAir SR looking at the spec's, possibly with Nav!?  It seems slightly better than the 1.6 diesel, but happy to be told otherwise.

I've got a long history of Alfa ownership so know the Fiat brand well, but have never owned a Lancia/Chrysler before. Is there anything in particular I should be looking out for other the usual condition and history checks?

Thanks

Mike

Our limited is same colour but with gloss black roof it does make a difference but in this colour combo is very subtle as the grey is already dark. I think you could possibly negotiate a limited for not a lot more if you are lucky, they do keep turning up and the asking price us rarely the selling price. I suspect most dealers would see a delta as a liability on stock so may be keen to deal Edited by Rossocorsa

Thanks guys, and yes you're both right.

Would prefer the 2.0ltr diesel if I'm totally honest, and the sat nav as it makes the dash look classier especially in the piano black finish. I don't really want to spend any more than 8k max and at the moment the couple of Limited models and the black edition grill ones are 10k plus.

I might still have a drive of this though to get a feel. The tuning kit would take it to 165bhp @375lbft torque so not bad for a tiddler! :P

I've also found the latest version of the Nav unit in Italy with wi-fi for around £450 plus shipping...so that maybe an option!?

I seem to be at the beginning of divorce, it us an outside possibility that I might have to sell ours, if I do I'll let you know but I will avoid it if I can so don't get your hopes up!

Ah sorry to hear that Rosso! Hopefully It won't come to you having to sell up fingers crossed and all that... Been there and wore the tee-shirt a long time ago unfortunately so know what you're going through. I had to sell a 306 turbo S and a track day car plus remortgage to get rid of my first wife lol!

I've threatened my second wife already that she's not taking my cars... she can have the child instead haha!

Well my shiny black Discovery 3 beast drove off into the sunset yesterday with a very happy new owner, so that leaves me without a car! (Well apart from the wife's)

So having beaten £500 off the price of the 1.6SR I linked above, I'm thinking this is a bit of a bargain, and for £300 I can map the 1.6 to 165bhp/375nm which may be enough power to keep me happy.

I've also found a company in Italy selling Sat Nav head unit's that match the original unit shape and looks and maintain the Blue & Me plus audio controls for around £450. They do them in piano black or silver too...

Can anyone tell me where the diagnostic plug socket (OBD port) is located? I want to plug in and see if there are any stored fault codes before I think about buying it?

Right hand side of steering wheel small cubby hole, remove cross head screws holding the cubby and pull the unit forwards to remove it plug is behind, a generic reader might not tell you much multiecuscan software ( about 50 euros for a licence) and suitable cables is a must to see everything that's going on.

Right hand side of steering wheel small cubby hole, remove cross head screws holding the cubby and pull the unit forwards to remove it plug is behind, a generic reader might not tell you much multiecuscan software ( about 50 euros for a licence) and suitable cables is a must to see everything that's going on.

Cheers fella! Well the good news is that there weren't any faults stored on the ECU, and the small parking dent in the front wing has been removed by their dent guy, so body wise it's now as new.... So I've done the dastardly deed and bought the little blighter!

Lancia black grill, rear boot badge, Sat Nav with WI-FI, Digital TV and reverse camera ordered, and a new set of mats too... Ooh and nearly forgot it gets remapped tomorrow too so quite pleased for the money! I don't think anything comes close for this kind of money...Amazing!

Interested how then remap goes, tbh I do think that's a large claimed increase but even if it's really less it will still give it a bit more edge. Those figures are similar to a standard 2.0 so you should find it adequately brisk when done if no ball of fire, these newer diesels are deceptive though as they don't make such a song and dance about shifting along at first I used to find I was doing rather a lot more than I thought

Right I've installed the latest CRD2 Plus map this morning and I have to say it's completely transformed the car! The average gain is roughly a 40% increase both in power and torque, so the quoted figures won't be far from the truth in my experience although all cars do vary slightly.

In recent years I've had my car's remapped on a hub centric rolling road (wheels off and hubs bolted directly to the machine) and then had a couple of hours tuning to perfection. However this time I've gone with the latest digital tuning box from my friends company (DTUK) which has had 3 maps loaded all with the same output, just that they deliver it differently. All maps can be increased/decreased +/- 30% in 10% increments to suit the application.

So at the moment I'm running map 1 set to plus 20% and it seems to suit the car really well. The turbo spools up instantly with no lag, the throttle seems lighter and more responsive and for a little engine defies its 1.6 litres. Rosso I wouldn't mind betting given the weight difference over the 2ltr block there wouldn't be much in between them. ;)

One thing you will get is better low end response compared to a limited as I suspect fuelling is deliberately restricted to help emissions giving a flat feel off boost. Is it a tuning box connected to fuel rail and map sensor or a pre loaded map via the obd2 socket? Somewhat different approaches Edited by Rossocorsa

Those 2ltrs are incredibly versatile and map extremely well tbh... With a better intercooler, induction and free flowing exhaust they really come alive! I'd have preferred yours to mine if I could have found one within budget.

The 2.4, 5 cylinder JTDm in the 159/Brera/Spider is probably the best diesel I've ever owned and a real shame its no longer available... Marchione doesn't know his ar*e fro his elbow... The sooner that pillock moves on the better... 

Those 2ltrs are incredibly versatile and map extremely well tbh... With a better intercooler, induction and free flowing exhaust they really come alive! I'd have preferred yours to mine if I could have found one within budget.

The 2.4, 5 cylinder JTDm in the 159/Brera/Spider is probably the best diesel I've ever owned and a real shame its no longer available... Marchione doesn't know his ar*e fro his elbow... The sooner that pillock moves on the better...

Trouble is there is constant pressure on emissions so maybe the old 5cylinder was well just getting too old, of course a lot of this emission stuff is nonsense, for instance stop start tech hardly saves a drop in the real world but reduces official CO2 figures so it's being adopted a lot. DPF is a good idea don't often see lots of smoke coming out of moderns because of them but it does cause headaches when adding tuning boxes and the like as regens may become too frequent. Good idea to use multiecuscan to watch the cycles and make sure the box isn't set too high for the type of use. Not sure about Marchione he does seem to have at least temporarily turned the business around but in doing so he has destroyed a key brand, I never believed that Lancia has no brand recognition out of Italy with the right product there was surely a profit to be made, with platform sharing and computerised factories your don't need to make huge volumes to make a profit.

My son in law has a LHD Delta with the 190ps 1905cc twin turbo motor by the way, that should make you even more envious!

Edited by Rossocorsa

Oh I don't know... I think a lot of cars have a limit where they become dangerous if tweaked too much. I've had a few cars over the years that would bite you hard if you weren't careful. (Nismo 350z / VX220 turbo / Maser 3200) These all used to give me goose bumps when ran out of talent lol!

Thanks I'll keep an eye of regens...

I've driven the 1.9 TTID that's in the Saab and really liked that! (Same engine) In fact a Saab was on the shortlist, but a saloon was too restricting with the boot aperture and the Sportwagon a little too fugly. A real shame we didn't get the twin turbo in the Alfas and of course our beloved Delta.

Yeah the emission's are the reason a lot of engines are biting the dust for sure, and why we're seeing 0.9 twinair's and the like sporting turbo's...  and you're right it is a load of tosh, but I guess we're being herded in that direction whether we like it or not!

In regards to Marchione and ruining Lancia and Alfa... I'm not sure either of these brands will ever recover under Fiat ownership or at all given how run down they've become model wise. Most UK owners have long moved on, the dealer networks now sell multiple brands to survive and even the Italians think Fiat is a cheap budget brand like Dacia! He may have bought Chrysler and be laying the tracks in America to sell the family jewels but has left Europe without in doing so. Too many false promises too to be believed anymore.

Gutted I missed this  http://italicar.co.uk/CarDetail.aspx?CID=274 - I reckon for £4k I would've had two sitting on my drive  B)  Really would go for a Momo S

Yeah I saw it come in! (I'm friends with Luke) Would love a unit in ''Little Italy'' where they are in Renson Close!! (Nick Harper next door has a fab 155 with busso power!!)

It was a nice car, but a little leggy mileage wise for me... and Essex handbag white! :lol:

And I'd prefer this that they're currently prepping!

post-267-0-35300000-1513614479_thumb.jpg

I could've been very tempting by it Mike - Miles would not have bothered me as long as it had history etc. Nowt wrong with white - just off in mine...........  :P

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Bf82KOEg6eM/UK0Uj7z3lxI/AAAAAAAAAJk/S5SWPFUIk8U/s640/adidaspumps-636x413.jpg

Coventry - Essex pretty similar really :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

On the subject though - I've seen those Momo S  / Bravo 18" Alloys going cheap on ebay  - they must be a straight Delta fit right?

Ooh if you spot any let me know! I do look from time to time and deffo want some... I really like the look of them as don't particularly like my 17's..

Edited by MikeyRules