Delta Lancia Badging

Nello

Question

I bought my Delta as a Fiat group enthusiast and have bought a replacement Lancia front Grill along with rear badge. The alloy centres and other badging will follow!

Replaced the rear easily enough - heat up the badge with a hair dryer then slide some string along to break up the adhesive. Roll off the excess with you thumb then remove anything left with sticky stuff remover. I just need to work out how to remove the front grill. There are 6 T30 Torx Star head screws along the top edge.

I think there is a fixing inside each front wheel arch to remove then a series of screws underneath the front edge under the car and the whole bumper should hopefully come off. Will confirm once I've done mine! The Grill itself is then held on to the bumper panel by 10 clips on the grill back that push on.

Edited by Nello

Hi Nello

Had a two week drive of the new 1.6 Fiat Tipo in Portugal at the start of February.

Apart from the strange driving position - ie left hand seat, the car was very much fashioned on the Delta.

Cruise control on steering wheel, automatic lights, no CD player and only a five speed gear box.

Main pain in the a@@e was the Fiat Tom-Tom that was the standard instal version, which had a very much out of date software edition (could not see how to update it) which allowed us to fly over valleys on five year old motorways, drive through the Douro river (similar) and act as a tractor on some hillsides where vines had been planted.

Managed to average 56mpg, over about 2000 miles, motorway, urban and town etc etc.

Thoroughly enjoyed the car - especially the mpg running on 'basic' not super diesel.

After two weeks it was strange getting into the 'identical' car, making the left arm ache with the gear changing! Then driving on the wrong side of the road in post rush hour - everyone escaping from London ....

Penguin

Yes they are OK but very typical in the mould of the Bravo/Stilo genre..... i.e. Fiat appear to have found what they believe is a niche by making their C-segment cars fairly cheap and basic as a selling point to rival the others. I thought it drove completely fine but hardly exciting and a bit bland which was very much like its predecessors (although we did have an Abarth'ised 1.8 3-door Stilo which was nice!) The one we had was basic as a courtesy car so not even Nav. I would definately not pay for one for new but might be a decent runaround for someone once depreciation has hit - which it will rapidly. They are built in Turkey.

Edited by Nello

I bought a brand new Tipo diesel saloon last May. Lounge spec, very well equipped, great comfort, half pleather interior, great heater, well built, good economy 65mpg average (and I don't even try) good road holding and all this for 20k euros (around 16k pounds) it's a no brainer really!!!

Yes I can see your logic, but you'd have been better buying a used one and saving on some of that early depreciation! There's plenty coming through the auctions, and they're trickling onto the used market now.

Personally I prefer the estate over the saloon, just like I do with the Alfa 156/159 SW's... Somehow the design just seems to work better.

Edited by MikeyRules

Would agree that the estate looks more tempting I just find it annoying that fiat don't offer higher powered versions if VW can be successful across multiple brands all offering a wide range of performance options I can't see why fiat can't ? Personally if I had to get rid of the Delta (will probably only happen if age/mileage related unreliability sets in) I would probably prefer something less brash than modern Alfas but FCA don't really offer that option in a car with comparable performance to the 2 litre Delta Edited by Rossocorsa

Yes I can see your logic, but you'd have been better buying a used one and saving on some of that early depreciation! There's plenty coming through the auctions, and they're trickling onto the used market now.

Personally I prefer the estate over the saloon, just like I do with the Alfa 156/159 SW's... Somehow the design just seems to work better.

Mikey, I bought the car I wanted, in the specification and colour I wanted, for a reasonable price and I didn't have to wait for some yank to tear the clutch out of it!

The girls at home love it and I got a reasonable trade in for my old Punto

I agree about the estate being a bit of a looker!

I thought that the UK only have the hatchback? Fiat Ireland opted for the full range

Yeah hatchback and estate here. Saloons don't tend to sell well here in the budget brand sector, even the premium brands struggle.

I get why you bought it, its just given that they're already under 10k at auction the depreciation is quite steep from the off... I just couldn't do that to my wallet...

Maybe I'm different but given most cars are financed through the endless loop that is PCP we live in a false economy. Once most people get to car 3 or 4 and it all goes tits up, maybe just maybe it will get investigated like PPI...

I'd never buy on PCP myself it's just a main dealer gravy train, I don't think most buyers (or should I say renters) understand what they are signing up for they just see the apparently low monthly figure. I do think that people should be educated to look out for themselves though, the culture with ppi etc. Seems to be saying to people that whatever happens someone will bail you out!

I am lucky to have a job that pays me enough, to keep me in the style to which I have become accustomed !!!

Seriously though, I have a car fund, from which I pay for my next car, I usually pay it back over 18 months and keep topping it off until the car is 3 years old or a hundred thousand kilometres, which ever comes 1st

PCP is a merry go round that I can't abide and I agree with you both regarding its long term business implications

Hi guys, I've been reading this topic with much interest. I bought a Delta last month and finally received the front grille (waterfall style, much better I think), rear badge and airbag. Got the grille on with the help of a pal tonight, easier than I expected. However the reverse is true of the airbag. After forty minutes of fiddling with flat blades, hooks etc I've given up for now. I cannot get the blade at the right angle to release it. Is there a purpose built tool? I've done VWs which took a matter of minutes. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi Delboy and welcome to Delta ownership fella!

It's ages since I did mine... think I was the first in fact... Anyway from memory once you've located the holes in the back and pierced through as they are underneath the leather it's just a matter of feeling for the bars and then pushing until they release. I do have an airbag tool, but am pretty sure on the Delta I just used a flat blade screwdriver. One side wasn't as stiff as the other either.

Cheers Mikey, I'll have another crack tomorrow. Got a local Lancia meet and was hoping to show it all off! At least the front and back say Lancia.

Yeah makes a massive difference getting rid of those massive wings off the car. There's also two tiny Lancia badges on the rear quarter windows too, on the Italian cars, so you might want to get those too if not already.

I still need an engine cover and headrests to complete really, just never really got round to them...