Delta Lancia Badging

Nello

Question

I bought my Delta as a Fiat group enthusiast and have bought a replacement Lancia front Grill along with rear badge. The alloy centres and other badging will follow!

Replaced the rear easily enough - heat up the badge with a hair dryer then slide some string along to break up the adhesive. Roll off the excess with you thumb then remove anything left with sticky stuff remover. I just need to work out how to remove the front grill. There are 6 T30 Torx Star head screws along the top edge.

I think there is a fixing inside each front wheel arch to remove then a series of screws underneath the front edge under the car and the whole bumper should hopefully come off. Will confirm once I've done mine! The Grill itself is then held on to the bumper panel by 10 clips on the grill back that push on.

Edited by Nello

There's a difference between platform sharing and slapping an inappropriate badge on!

I can't see why it's a problem. Motor manufacturers are pushing brands all over the place and shoving certain brands down our throats. As two examples I would give Skoda and MINI.

Personally I *really* don't give a monkeys. I have a Delta, it has Chrysler badges on, so what?....Oh, Mopar maaaan!

I know it doesn't but hey, it means I can buy a Delta and I like it. The fact that it happens to have Chrysler badges on which i also actually like. I see no need for the negativity.

For me It's not in the least inappropriate if it sells more Fiat Auto cars (FCA J) rather than people buying stuff made by Kia, Hyundai and the Japanese euro boxes. I hope they sell more Chryslers than Citroen/ Peugeot/ Renault/ Kia/ Hyundai sell cars in Europe. At least they are striking looking and are not boring run of the mill anonymous Euro boxes. J

Edited by schteveo

There's a difference between platform sharing and slapping an inappropriate badge on!

I can't see why it's a problem. Motor manufacturers are pushing brands all over the place and shoving certain brands down our throats. As two examples I would give Skoda and MINI.

Personally I *really* don't give a monkeys. I have a Delta, it has Chrysler badges on, so what?....Oh, Mopar maaaan!

I know it doesn't but hey, it means I can buy a Delta and I like it. The fact that it happens to have Chrysler badges on which i also actually like. I see no need for the negativity.

For me It's not in the least inappropriate if it sells more Fiat Auto cars (FCA J) rather than people buying stuff made by Kia, Hyundai and the Japanese euro boxes. I hope they sell more Chryslers than Citroen/ Peugeot/ Renault/ Kia/ Hyundai sell cars in Europe. At least they are striking looking and are not boring run of the mill anonymous Euro boxes. J

The Delta is italian design through and through, trying to sell it as American was stupid and doomed to failure even worse chrysler doesn't have a very good reputation in the UK so a double whammy. I find it very embarrassing to admit owning a Chrysler tbh Edited by Rossocorsa

The Delta is italian design through and through, trying to sell it as American was stupid and doomed to failure even worse chrysler doesn't have a very good reputation in the UK so a double whammy. I find it very embarrassing to admit owning a Chrysler tbh

In my opinion no one should find it embarrassing at all! I think the Delta is a great car, maybe a little heavy but then most cars are these days.

Didn't Frank Stephenson design it? That is a huge plus point for me. He designed several other interesting cars too whilst working for FIAT, Lancia, Alfa and a couple of other marques associated with the FIAT group. He holds an American passport.

I concede that the badge means a lot but having the car in this country means almost as much to me.

Besides, there is not really an alternative, the parent company needs to sell cars to represent the marque in this country and obviously to make money to make more cars which will be more relevant to their respective market places like the Chrysler 200.

Besides, all motor vehicle companies these days are mulitnational. Mercedes make cars in America, South Africa so do BMW.

I fail to see the problem. Look at the Austrailian market, Holden ?

Though i wouldn't really want to admit it Lancia still has a poor reputation in the UK thanks to a problem about 40 years ago. All the Lancia Delta rallying (group B :) maximum attack...)  world championships do not seem to have changed that i'm really sorry to say. So with your average Joe public still having a poor opinion of what i consider to be one of the best names in the world in the end the Fiat group probably didn't have too much choice

Edited by schteveo

There are a few who still bring out the rust jokes but conversely a lot of people love and respect the brand not least via compute games and stratos , integrale etc. Fiat needed to be braver but I suspect they had already half decided to bin Lancia and simply took the easy route.

I don't think the delta is exceptional in any way but it is very distinctive and deserves to be correctly identified, I am an Italian car enthusiast and I'd prefer my car to align with that, the one bonus of the Chrysler badge is rampant depreciation otherwise I would never have bought one!

Edited by Rossocorsa

I would wager that people who play computer games, like Sega Rally and Gran Turismo (yes i did and still do, I have GT6) Do not buy new cars and those that do buy new cars are into brand snobbery on a large scale. If there was any chance of Lancia selling cars in the UK Fiat group would have done it decades ago, look at Alfa, they sell in very small numbers in the UK. Sadly no one except the complete enthusiast would buy a brand new Lancia and they are very few and far between.

I too am an Italian car enthusiast. I have owned several Italian cars and i have only ever purchased 2 brand new cars, both of which were FIAT'S but i would not be able to afford a new Lancia Delta.

With regard to Lancia, it is sad that they will now be an Italy only brand but the end justifies the means. If it makes the FIAT group (FCA or whatever) a really big player then it's worth it. The brands they now sell (including Chrysler)  have more history than every other car manufacturer in the world, that is something.

Just think, instead of boring T*y*tas and v*g group cars we can all drive something actually almost new, *interesting* and quite inexpensive by comparison, at least for now!

Edit: Anyhow....Vanishing Point - It takes a Mopar to catch a Mopar. Look it up on youtube :)

Edited by schteveo

Yeah, that maybe correct but i played Sega Rally and i played Gran Tuurismo 6, i'm 55 years old. Anyhow  for some reason in this country at least it stuck and Fiat have i'm sure (periodically) thought of bringing Lancia back but they have not felt that the could take the risk. The financing would be huge and sadly there is still no guarante the residuals would be any better which to be honest i think is correct. There was a Lancia dealer in up in my hone town in the 1980's i think, called Southbound garage. They definately sold the Lancia Y10. I distinctly remember a FILA ltd edition, after a year it was for sale at 50% the price of a new one.

This link is a piece from an American website, http://www.city-data.com/forum/europe/2133598-do-europeans-envy-american-51.html post 06-15-2014, 09:31 AM states that it's not really fair or practical to compare American cars with German cars, this being an Italian car similar applies for me. That is possibly in essence part of the problem. American cars are fantastic value for money, if you are prepared to put up with slightly inferior plastics used on the interior.

Take Skoda, as part of VW their prooducts lose money in an alarming fashion too.

I'm sick of the dealer who sold me my car, :angry:  they should not be allowed main dealer status!!!!!  but i love the name, it's part of the family and long may it remain!

If it were an Audi, Mercedes or a BMW i would be looking at an 08 or 09 car at best, it's not and it's better looking, as economical, spacious etc so it's a better buy for me. Oh, it's not a rep mobile like all of the muppets have at work! That makes it miles better for me!!!!!

Edited by schteveo

Look my friend, start from the basics. Put the badge to one side. Is it basically a good car? I know it is. The price was good too? So it's a good deal  then? No complaints. Forget the percieved embarassment, it's only in your mind. Most people will not know or car what you have they will be suprised at the drl's or the tail lights then think what was that car, the exclusive tag will still be there in two years from now.

You could always trade it in for a new, up-spec Dacia ?

No, i thought not mate! :)

Edited by schteveo

As a car it is nothing special, bought it because the price was good and I prefer not to follow the herd. The basic platform design has too many flaws and evidence of penny pinching to be anywhere near the top of its class. I don't worry too much about being embarrassed after all I've run Lancias of one sort or another for something like 32 years so I've heard all the put downs going, the chrysler badge is still a hard one to justify and the badge on the tailgate is hideous and out of keeping with the original design so much so that I have removed it. The front of the car is spoilt by the chrysler grille style, the original Lancia grille is much better as it follows the flow of the body design. There's no need to get aggravated if you think the car is ok branded as chrysler that's fine, the fact that chryslerr depreciate faster than any other brand suggests most folk concluded otherwise.

Hi again Rosso,

And anyone else if they are reading this thread which I/we seem to have hijacked.

Firstly I'm sorry if you think I'm aggravated, I am *anything* but aggravated. Honestly! I posted whilst at work so it may have been a little hurried (Nightshift!)

I also bought  my car because the price was right i'm not in the least bothered by the badge, in fact I like it and I don't spend time contemplating how hideous or otherwise the badge or any parts of the car are. To be honest I think there are plenty of other cars which show much more ill advised styling cues and badging etc then the Chrysler Delta. Take the new Bentley, it is more brash and hideous than anything I have seen outside of Max Power, I referred to the Bentley Grand Convertible as proof that you can polish a turd.

I am also not (ever) going to rubbish the reputation of the first motor company to use the monocoque body and put full electrics in a car, they also to the best of my knowledge  introduced Independent suspension front engines with rear axle mounted gearboxes and the 5 speed gearbox to main stream vehicles before anyone else. Vittorio Jano hero from Alfa Romeo worked for Lancia.

This history means more to me than a certain very famous f1 team. This company, and Alfa Romeo have far richer history than anyone else in the world to me. It is why I still buy cars made by the parent company and quite probably will never buy from anyone else.

*Not elitist too I guess....

Please don't think I`m annoyed, upset or anything else I promise you i'm not. The Dacia thing was just a joke, I promise!!! :D

The Lancia grille does look better but I`m just not that bothered by the Chrysler Grille, it`s ok for me.

I admire you for wanting to change the car to suit your needs my friend.

Depreciation is a joke! My wife bought a 3 year old Mini one  she decided to sell after owning the car for 3 years it when sold she could not get more then £2900 for the car! she lost over 50% of the money she paid. This is from a car which does not depreciate badly at all apparently, the best dealer offer was £2650.

*The not elitist part come from the advertising that certain German manufacturers seem to use, claiming to be everything to all (business) men and women, I don`t like it. I don`t like the exclusion of everyone except those business users, like the below.

The new Mer**des C class, from £350 per month--business users only -- 

They can stick it!

I detest the inference that the car they are advertising is for business users *only* Obviously I know the package they are advertising is for business users because there is no word of plus 20% vat but I still get brassed off by the total elitist, they are better than everyone impression that I get from their hugely expensive advertising campaign. Now that I do get aggravated with. :)

This does not mean that I am a working class door handle, I simply dislike the implication that everything Germanic is par excellence, I think the advertising campaigns for vag, Mercedes and B*W have been very accomplished. Making people feel that they are special and better than everything else. This was certainly not the case in the 70's and early 80's before the huge advertising campaigns.  

I wonder if they all use category managers?

Edited by schteveo

The interesting point on depreciation is that my car against list had lost about £15000 in less than 18 months but in the following 20 months since I bought it only seems to have lost about £2500 at retail ( obviously about £4000 against trade in value) I actually think this isn't bad at all in the current saturated market place and I've put about 18k extra on the clock too. So once someone else took the initial drop it is not bad really although I do think I bought at just the right time.

You know what I love about Fiat Group owners is that generally they are the most down to earth friendly people I have ever met.

Throw in the fact that most hate Germanic common euro boxes, but love Italian unique design and the way you can drive to work without seeing another car the same as yours... the fact that they don't cost the earth to buy used and most of the unreliability stories are exactly that...stories! What's not to love!?

Does that make us 'thspecial' lol :P  :lol:

:P Thought you might be interested Mike! Yes - these : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Adesivo-Resinato-Sticker-3D-LOGO-LANCIA-PER-CHIAVE-1-5-cm-/311291145085?pt=Ricambi_e_Accessori_Moto&hash=item487a65eb7d     I offered him 8 Euro for two (about £6) and he sent them in about 4 days  :D  Perfect fit over the Key 'push'. 3D Domed effect and seem to stick very well. Look factory TBH. If they do move I'll just add superglue!

Is that an Italian Tax Disc holder? Not sure about the badges - I also bought that Delta logo script that was going cheap and have added to the dash to 'mirror' the script sewn in to the Limited's Leather dash. Will post a photo soon....

Edited by Nello

Ha-ha you know me too well! :P I'm a sucker for getting rid of all known wrong branding! Talking of which I wonder if the window etching would polish out!? :lol:

Thanks for the link and much appreciated!

Yes it's an Italian document holder and parking clock... Yes I'm not sure about the badges either especially with 'Italia' inscribed across them. :unsure:  However I'll stick one on when they arrive and take a pic for the verdict.

Was the logo like a metal keyring 3d delta? I looked ages ago for the proper one and couldn't find anything so bought a key ring with a view to 'gluing' that to the dash but thought better of it when it arrived as the 'D' has a small loop to attach it to your keys.

I tried my eper which is quite up to date but for some reason whilst it recognises the crappler chassis number and knows it has chrysler trim it doesn't seem to flag up any chrysler specific parts, I think the reason why the surround is different depth is the lack of blue and me facility it looks to me as if those with usb and aux allow a bit more space underneath for the socket block. I'm not sure but I think all 2014 model years have black trim along with momo design and executive/limited Edited by Rossocorsa

Thanks for looking Rosso much appreciated fella!

Yes you're absolutely right about the depth change in the trims... although both are actually the same overall when placed together. The deeper gloss part actually looks much better and creates a bit of reflection which is nice. There aren't any clearance issues with the back of the Blue & Me socket to be honest and this end of the console actually fits perfectly.

The part that doesn't fit is the other end nearest the handbrake. Here is where the consoles are handed as well as the top part under the aircon unit... I think I'm just gonna have to paint my existing TBH, as I'm not prepared to pay anything like £160 for a bit of cheap plastic trim.

Rosso - see the ebay link I posted above to Mikey - perfect fit and yes they are the current Lancia badge design so ideal. They've been on for the weekend now - a little movement if you try to lift the edges so I may add some superglue but look spot on!

Thanks for looking Rosso much appreciated fella!

Yes you're absolutely right about the depth change in the trims... although both are actually the same overall when placed together. The deeper gloss part actually looks much better and creates a bit of reflection which is nice. There aren't any clearance issues with the back of the Blue & Me socket to be honest and this end of the console actually fits perfectly.

The part that doesn't fit is the other end nearest the handbrake. Here is where the consoles are handed as well as the top part under the aircon unit... I think I'm just gonna have to paint my existing TBH, as I'm not prepared to pay anything like £160 for a bit of cheap plastic trim.

I suspect you get the leather gaiter as well but is still hardly vfm. The prices are a bit bonkers as it's obvious fiat get the parts for a lot less and just make up a price as a spare part but then again all manufacturers are the same

Popped in to my local Sainsburys yesterday - came back to the car and there was a LHD Belgian registered LANCIA Ypsilon parked next to me! Pity I did not have my camera and my phone is too naff to have one! I actually saw the wheels first with Lancia centres and thought there was a fellow Lancisti converting his Chrysler!

Edited by Nello