New Battery Result

frogland

Question

I've been having the the classic low fuel pressure problems in my 2.8 crd.

Hard to start,constantly having to hand prime to start and press the accelerator. I checked the filter housing for leaks,and the fuel filter everything seems ok.I did the leak back test on the relief valve on the rail and that seemed fine so I was really starting to think fuel solenoid on the pump or dribbling injectors.

Anyway today I changed the battery from a 560A 70AH to a 800A 85AH I had to chop the tray but eventually got the bigger unit in place.

Low and behold the car started without any assistance !!

After a couple of minutes the cooling fan kicked in and then stopped ( is this normal ?)

It seems like a different car.

Its early days and we'll see how it goes but it's looking promising for now.

I think i'll be looking at doing the Leedsman's battery mod as well.

post-1968-0-00250000-1519061806_thumb.jpg

Sounds right ,it started first turn of the key today I let it run a bit,cut the motor,and then it wouldn't start again until i messed with the starter ground.

And i can remember the same thing happening a few months ago.

So the brushes have to be replaced ,is it do it yourselfable ?

Edited by frogland

It depends how good yoy are with mechanics...by the time you find the brushes you take it to a local mechanic, I usually pay £10-20 depends. If you don't get them right it can damage the rotor, I prefer taking it to someone that does this for a living.

Also keep in mind that playing with the negative (earth) it creates high inrush current that can damage the starter, if not damaged already.

Edited by mikebh8