Delta Heater

Andrewgrale

Question

25 answers to this question

I think I've commented on other threads Andrew I think the heater is a bit poor. I was spoilt by my old Coupe which had a heater like a hairdryer in minutes but its the direction and power of heat that I do not like. I never seem to be able to get the correct direction from the vents - I know the centre vents are fairly high but I like them to direct heat on to my hands this time of year which it never really does very well. Its either not there or aiming at my face. The output is a bit naff as well - not especially strong. Yes I have changed the pollen filter so not sure what else you could actually do to improve. I know Mikey had some issues with the flap which directs Air in to the footwells but mine appears to be working still ok though without much effect.................

Edited by Nello

Can't say that I find it an issue myself but would comment though that if its a diesel they don't warm up so fast as the thermal efficiency means less waste heat for heating. The climate control appears to monitor actual heater temp so doesn't pump heat in until it's heated up sufficiently. I do have heated seats though which i suppose help a bit.

Yeah defrosting the windows is pants.... I'd be better punching myself in the knackers and breathing hot air on the windows that way than the poxy fan under the dash...

My recirc motor failed on mine (quite common on Bravo's) and it's a dash out jobby and a new heater eek! Fortunately we were able to cheat and just disconnected the flap. Although that does present another problem is that I can no longer shut out bad smells, and in winter it can steam up inside, so have to open a window slightly to demist..

Can't say that I find it an issue myself but would comment though that if its a diesel they don't warm up so fast as the thermal efficiency means less waste heat for heating. The climate control appears to monitor actual heater temp so doesn't pump heat in until it's heated up sufficiently. I do have heated seats though which i suppose help a bit.

It's a 1.4 multiair and the heating system is similar to her previous Bravo, which heated up like Beelzebubs naughty room . .

Mikey - reviving this as with the current cold spell I don't seem to be getting any heat in to the footwells? Was this what you found when your recirc flap failed? Can't hear any movement/motor whirr when I try to change heat direction? TBH though the system does clear the screen ok and does not mist up so may not be the same issue you had.

Edited by Nello

Mikey - reviving this as with the current cold spell I don't seem to be getting any heat in to the footwells? Was this what you found when your recirc flap failed? Can't hear any movement/motor whirr when I try to change heat direction? TBH though the system does clear the screen ok and does not mist up so may not be the same issue you had.

Don't think so, although now you come to mention it, my feet don't seem as warm? I'll have to check!!

In my case the Recirc flap had stuck in the shut position hence everything steaming up as you're basically breathing the same air all the time and no fresh air is coming in. 

It's a common failure on the Bravo as well, and it's basically the plastic cogs stripping the teeth! To make things worse it's dash out to replace the heater matrix, so a poo load of labour for a relatively easy job. We opted for jamming it open, although I think it's closed again as I'm steaming up in winter!

OK noticed a new issue this morning - has anyone experienced any issues with the Dual Zone Climate system? If I turn up the heat - driver side is warm but passenger side (both the LH central vent plus the near side window vent) are cold / a different temperature? I presume there is some kind of flap internally that controls both sides? Will check on the Fiat forum for similar Bravo issues............ 

Not sure if you've seen this? It was on one of the links on the second post:

Re: Climate Control Issues
Right, thought I'd re-visit this thread with an update.

My problems were purely on the passenger side, drivers side I can't help. (UK car, so right hand drive)

But basically after Fiat quoted me a huge sum of money to fix the problem and independent garages didn't want to take the job after short inspection. I decided to live with it...until this summer, been hot as hell recently huh.

So last night I decided to see if I could do anything and I was surprised how easy it was:

All three of the motors on the passenger side are accessible with only a small amount of dashboard removal.

The parts that need removing are the glove-box and glove box housing.

Once these are out you have very easy access to the two direction motors, and you can actually see the temperature mixing motor. Two of the screws can be taken out without any problem. The third is buried behind a metal pillar, but can be accessed (prepare for scrapped knuckles).

I then took a working arm from the direction motor and plugged it into the temperature one put it back on, turned the cogs so the air is going onto the windscreen until I can find some replacement arms/motors.

I've now got a working temperature on both sides of the car and it currently going to the windscreen while I order (try to find) new motors/plastic arms to replace the broken ones.

I thought I'd update this thread since people seem to think that it's a huge job and the entire dashboard needs to come out, well it doesn't. I'm not a mechanic or an electrician or even all that handy with DIY stuff and managed it.

When I do find the motors/arms and need to dismantle again I'll post some pictures to help people out.

I don't visit the forum too often, but I know there is very little info out there for the Bravo

Re: Climate Control Issues
quote_icon.png Originally Posted by cainy1989 viewpost.gif
How simple was the dash removal, mines the same I know where the motors are and am slowly being cooked alive when driving just can't reach em
I can only speak for the Passenger side, but it took me about an hour (maybe a bit more) to remove all the parts I needed to in order to access the 3 motors for demister, direction and passenger temperature mix. Now I know where the screws are and how it all comes apart I think I could probably get the bits off in about 20-30 minutes.

Remove the glove box.
Remove Trim near the door.
You can then remove the glove box housing, once this is out you can easily see the 3 motors.

(Important note: There is something sat on top of the glove-box housing, looks very much like something to do with the air bag or immobiliser, I chose not to unplug it and set it to one side.)

The passenger mixing motor is the hardest to get to, two of the bolts you can easily put a socket on the third is a little more difficult and has wires and a bolt in the way.

I've yet to find anywhere to buy just the plastic actuator arms, the motors are about £70, but my motors work as far as I can see.

Seriously going to have to look at this now - did not predict the 3 degrees here overnight - took an age to get the screen clear this morning. Misting like mad. Looks like not only is my dual-zone flap motor not working (different temps either side) bit the screen to floor flap appears out as well! 

So took out Glovebox and some associated trim. It seems the Delta Heater is even more inaccessible than the Bravo's - though the same unit. I can hear the actuator motors working but no flaps so it appears it is the common Bravo issue with broken actuator motor plastic internal cogs. Gave up not wanting to remove my entire dash - managed to see the upper motor which controls air flow to the screen so was able to push the flap cog around with a long screwdriver to direct air to the screen - not more misting up at least........... Horrible job to fix.

Edited by Nello