Chrysler Stall

blackvelvet

Question

2006 2.8 Grand Voyager

Started the car today drove 10 yards and engine stalled.

Wont start again...... turns over nicely but no start.

I notice the dash warning lights are also slow to light up when I turn ignition switch to run. Don't know if this is related.

Charged the battery in case but still the same problem.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

10 answers to this question

Hi, I guess a short, a serious one, do you know how to get the faults on the dash?

How to videos on YouTube...I guess it is called the key dance faults, or something like that.

Do you have enough fuel in the tank?

Are you using the same key as the last time that was working?

Disconnect the battery for a while with minus and plus leads joined( the ones from the car), this might clear the light play.

Was it left out in the rain...water might have gone to electrics?

Do you hear the starter motor, if you have a prime pump, do you hear it in the first few seconds when the key is turned to on?

Needs further investigation.

Thanks AD

Just went out to the car again.

Turned ignition on.. no warning lights for a few seconds, then they turned on but this time the headlights did not turn on....but sadly the heater did.

If I turn the heater off and switch the ignition on, the heater turns itself on again.

When I turn the key to start the battery now appears to be flat again.

Fuel is good and the key is the same one.

The code reader that I have indicates no codes.

We have had a lot of rain here. i live in the Welsh mountains.

Ok, disconnect the battery, remove all the fuses and relays (take a picture so you know how to put them back), with a hair dryer, dry the fuse box for a good half an hour even an hour if you have enough patience.

By the sound of it water makes funny contact.

Between the headlight and the battery is the ECU, with the battery disconnected, remove the plugs and look for water damage or corrosion.

Last thing I can think of....I don't believe is that but to rule it out, would be the ignition barrel, you would have to rimove the plug behind it and check for damage.

The inside ventilator will come on if you disconnect the battery and reconnecting it, that along with the radio on, I'm not sure why the lights are coming on( probably from the short you have somewhere)

Hope it helps.

Thanks Mike

the light don't come on now when I switch the ignition on, thats something at least.

I opened the fuse box on the int power module and looked for relevent fuses.

The first fuse I tried to pull was the PCM... as I pulled it up the engine turned over...ign off.

This caused  the alarm to start and it refused to go off untill I disconnected the battery.

Does this indicate a problem in the IPM. i.e. should pulling the fuse cause the engine to turn over with the ign switch off?

Hi, no it shouldn't turn over,

The alarm shouldn't turn off by disconnecting the battery, it has a backup battery and it only turns off when you switch the key or operate the remote...

Inspect the ignition barrel, if the engine turns over with the key to off position it must be something wrong in there

Hi guys, my opinion would be, as Mike said, a problem in the relays and fuse area shorting out, as confirmed by #6 post, 

and the alarm back up battery could be dead of course, mine is.

Does yours still have one of the ecu boxes under the passenger wheel arch liner? Lovely spot hey!!! Not normally a problem, until it is...!

My 2002 petrol has the TCM under there, the 05 petrol is totally different but still in the same place!

Edited by bignev

Thanks for the imput BigNev

The problem seems to be in the ECM just next to the battery tray. The electrics are doing inexplicable tricks.

We have had horrendous rain over the last couple of weeks.

I am going to pull all the fuses and relays from there and dry it out, if it is wet of course.

If it does any good I will post the result for someone else to use.

Also in front of the battery you have the wipers' drainage, see if is connected properly, it could be that the water went in through there...

Another thing, very unlikely unless a short, but the engine would turn over if the starter motor is connected directly to 12v...

Try to find the circuit to it and check from there.

Thanks Mike

I will check the drain off.

I made another discovery today. The battery measured just 12 volts.

I jumped the car with a new battery, the instrument lights all came on as normal no hesitation.

However the stereo auto changer went mad clicking away like a loon.

This may be because the battery has been disconnected for a few hours.

I didn't try to start the car, I will tomorrow. when I put a fully charged battery on.

The existing battery is still quite new though, about a year old.