My Folly However Will Be A Nice Car Once Done

christianmidlands

Question

Hi all I recently have brought a Voyager 2.5CRD I thought it would need a little tidying up but this car is unravelling like a can of worms. The car is 2004 mark 4 I believe the LX model

My biggest issue is over heating, does about 6 miles, checked oil and dip both black, no discolour. The previous owners I think let it stand and seemed only to use water. I have just seen a post saying HOAT is best to use is this correct for the 2.5crd.

It also has a air lock as no heat is getting into the cabin its blowing cold air solidly. Its fairly flat west of Birmingham and I think it did go up the one slight hill we have but cant be sure as it was rush hour at the time. 

I did put some coolant in Predstone but a couple of litres the expansion bottle was over filled so when it went hot it lost about halve the reservoir 

Second problem but less tricky to solve is clutch is slipping, better when warm but will slip going up hill. I have ordered a new clutch. 

Body work has a bang which has affected the sill and this will need to be cut and welded and new sliding door on the rear sorted. 

4 new tyres and some new pads at the moment discs probably 12 months and all should be good! 

However any thoughts about the over heating I would like to hear, suspension drive and everything else is fine and the car runs very well. 

Edited by christianmidlands

12 answers to this question

Hi, the thermostat is at the back of the engine, under the drive side wiper( note or less), for better access remove the wiper cover and motor enclosure.

I had that on mine, same year and engine, same issue the thermostat blocked.

Hope it helps

Edited by mikebh8

Update

Over heating is cured !!!!! New clutch is in. Now got 4 new tyres and had it tracked

Still get noise and slight vibration above 30mph

Battery fine I kept treating like a covential car and turning fully off.

Done Coventry to home 48 mile every day for last 2 weeks tells me am doing 33-34mpg

Going to attempt the thermostat cure tomorrow lost my links can anyone be please repost

Body work is going to cost £350 with respray and need anew door

All electrics now working

Will be a fine car soon just time and money