I Hear Clicks When I Press Brake Pedal.

karmannski

Question

3 answers to this question

The click is normal, as bignev says it's the release for the auto gear shifter. To prove it, try and move the shifter without foot on brake, it won't move. If you put a little pressure on the shifter lever then put your foot on the brake you can 'feel' the release pin as it releases.

For the ABS light, this is a self-resetting system (unlike engine management warning) so if it comes on and goes out then it's finding an intermittent fault on the system. ABS has quite a few components but basics first, is there enough fluid in the reservoir? Then I'd be suspecting wheel speed sensor/ring corrosion causing a 'bad' read of the wheel speed, that's most likely if it comes on/goes out whilst driving. If you don't have an SRS scanner to pull the codes (key dance is no good here) then take front wheels off one by one, check the wheel speed sensor (it's the black connector towards the top of the wheel arch that then loops down and has one bolt holding it against the hub where the teeth are). Then with a wire brush give the toothed speed ring a clean up. It uses magnetic inductance to generate a tiny A/C electrical voltage when it spins so it's very easily upset by corrosion and rust.

Fingers crossed that might do it. I'd suspect it's not the sensors gone bad as you'd get the ABS light on constantly due to self-checks failing, etc.

Good luck!