Daylight Running Light Problem

Andrewgrale

Question

Hi all, I was driving my wife's Delta over the last few days and the left-hand front DRL has developed a fault.

It stops working after about 10 minutes, bringing on the orange alert light and the "ceck left-hand front sidelight" In true Italian style, when the car is switched off and back on, it works again for the 10 minutes!

I had a quick look at the various connections and can't see anything awry.

Has anyone come across this problem before??

Hi all, I was driving my wife's Delta over the last few days and the left-hand front DRL has developed a fault.

It stops working after about 10 minutes, bringing on the orange alert light and the "ceck left-hand front sidelight" In true Italian style, when the car is switched off and back on, it works again for the 10 minutes!

I had a quick look at the various connections and can't see anything awry.

Has anyone come across this problem before??

Not seen any front failures yet, but both Neil and I have had rear led failure. They started to be intermittent but soon became permanent. I've not looked at a head light removed, but if they are anything like the rears, they are almost impossible to open without causing damage to the unit.

I did get mine open eventually to look at the circuit, and found a dry joint, but by that time I'd totally trashed the unit opening it up. I got a replacement from good old eBay Italia for about £130 from memory... the front may be more and also for the European market rather than UK rhd, unless they're switchable on the back??

Yes as Mike says Andrew - once they go I think you will find thats it unfortunately and a replacement unit will be required. That said I've not heard of another DRL unit issue before.....

Quick look on Italian ebay though show they are similar money as the rear units - circa 175Euro  :wacko:  If I see a cheapie I'll let you know!

Edited by Nello

I was onto a friend of mine from the old rallying days, based in the south of Italy

He says that it is supplied only by Marelli and although he doesnt have 1, he will have 1 in his shop tomorrow

Reckons €180 plus postage of €20.....fingers crossed now that it doesnt turn out to be Unicorn urine!!!

Edited by Andrewgrale

Gian Luca has been a great help over the years in finding odd bits and pieces for me...

Delta integrale stuff...

Fiat Ritmo/Strada bits

Yes it always helps having an Italian on board... I was married there and am now part of a family from Vinci, Tuscany, so visit them two to three times a year. There's some fabulous stuff still on the roads like Fulvia's, Martini Delta's, x19, 33's, 75's and montes... Keep thinking I should buy something and drive it back!!

Yes it always helps having an Italian on board... I was married there and am now part of a family from Vinci, Tuscany, so visit them two to three times a year. There's some fabulous stuff still on the roads like Fulvia's, Martini Delta's, x19, 33's, 75's and montes... Keep thinking I should buy something and drive it back!!

Aha!

Which explains Signora Mikeys obsession with Alfa Romeo :D

It truly is a magical country . . Well, to visit anyway

Ridiculous price really when you think about it! Should be about £80 really given the price of LED's and plastic!

Let us know how easy it is to fit? I'm guessing it's bumper off, whole light unit out to replace the DLR strip...

I have an electronic engineer friend, bursting to get his hands on the old unit, to arse about with it, to prove that it can be repaired :-D

Best of luck changing Andrew. The eper lighting diagram is just an 'explosive' of parts so no real assistance with fitting.

You may need to remove the front bumper in which case use my method on the Lancia Badging thread as I did that (instead of that bodgit-merchant Mikey who yanked his Grill

off!  :P ) Let us know how you get on.

Edited by Nello

Best of luck changing Andrew. The eper lighting diagram is just an 'explosive' of parts so no real assistance with fitting.

You may need to remove the front bumper in which case use my method on the Lancia Badging thread as I did that (instead of that bodgit-merchant Mikey who yanked his Grill

off!  :P ) Let us know how you get on.

:ph34r: You sir can f... right off! :lol:

and anyway it's amazing what a tube of squirty no nails can do! :P