Wheel Nut Keys, Are They Worth The Trouble...

Dido

Question

On my previous Coil springs replacement, my garage managed to lose the wheel nut key. I only discovered that the key was missing when I needed to repair a recent puncture.

To cut a long story short the guys at the garage removed the keyed nuts and fitted normal nuts ( in all 4 wheels), puncture sorted and back on road.

Phoned the dealer, they asked about the key number on the card, was provided and said they will contact me as the key will need to be sourced from Germany...Quoted £ 18 + VAT

Do you think it is worth the trouble and wait to get the key and then put back the special nuts( now in a bag in my glovebox)

or it doesn't really deter alloy thieves ( The garage guys removed them in minutes, albeit with a bit of noise).

Your Opinion, please

Keyed Nuts? A genuine  deterrent  ? or just a waste of money and Time?

3 answers to this question

If you have them I'd use them. I'm not sure they actually deter thieves however the Delta is probably not the most sought after car when it comes to Car theft so would not worry too much. They too probably have no idea what they are............ 

Edited by Nello

Well at an off shoot to the topic....

My Mum live in South Wales and the have an individual / group that are touring the lanes and have acquired many of the more remote red cast iron / steel Post Office collection boxes.

Nothing is sacred these days - as the Verger of the local church, who discovered hat some scripts had acquired most of the lead off the nave of his church. They are replacing it with a laminate roofing skin, that looks the part but is not lead.

If you fancy a bit of gardening ....

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/bizarre-item-thieves-been-stealing-836729

Don't know how the insurers would go, if the locking wheel nuts had been supplied as standard - but, at £18 its a little bit cheaper than a set of alloys and also a full set of tyres.