Seized Calipers

AngelsEnvy

Question

Hi all.

Has anybody experienced any issues with seized front calipers after changing the rotors and pads on a 300c?

The vehicle has, since I bought it way back in 2006, gone through rotors like a thing possessed? These are the fourth set on the front whilst the rears have had three sets and the vehicle has only done 62000 miles from new and trust me not hard miles in any way shape or form. Anyway all has always been fine previously but this time the front calipers have gone west, in the open position fortunately, I'm awaiting new calipers but just wondered if anybody else has had similar issues? Love the vehicle to bits but I'm getting to the stage where just the thought of getting under the damn thing now fills me with horror! The only things not renewed on the front end are the shocks? Everything and I do mean everything else has been changed, by me, with a massive effort made in trying to locate that ever elusive 'front end knock' ? 

5 answers to this question

OK so new callipers have solved that problem! From experience should get anywhere between 10000 & 20000 miles before they fall apart, again.

Surprise surprise, the front end clunk is still there at low speeds, despite that very expensive front end rebuild, and over bumps around town! Got to the stage now where I was thinking maybe it was some kinda sick joke played on us Brits by GM? Or maybe it was an mp3 file loaded into the sound system?

If only it were :unsure: I'll never touch a Chrysler again no matter how pretty it looks. :rolleyes:

Possible reason why this model/vehicle eats discs/rotors could be that the callipers/pads are about 1/4 inch smaller than the rotor and so within a very short period of time a band appears around both the front and back of the rotor! This allows rust to form and over time a definite ridge appears! Did think about fitting a rotor of the same size as the rear but the front callipers/pads would then be too big! This has to be a design fault as I've never had or seen this problem on any other vehicle I've owned or worked on?  

Yeah a 1/4 inch is very excessive!

Usually a little lip occurs, but nothing like that size!

Not sure there is anything that can be done on this issue! This is the 4th set of rotors on the front over 62000miles and each and every one has gone the same way. It makes no difference which make is fitted, top quality, good or medium cost they all go the same way. Cheaper to fit TRW pads & rotors and just throw them away at between 12000/20000 miles. Annoying but there it is! Callipers and rotors supplied on Vin# so defo the right parts. :angry:

OK so new callipers have solved that problem! From experience should get anywhere between 10000 & 20000 miles before they fall apart, again.

Surprise surprise, the front end clunk is still there at low speeds, despite that very expensive front end rebuild, and over bumps around town! Got to the stage now where I was thinking maybe it was some kinda sick joke played on us Brits by GM? Or maybe it was an mp3 file loaded into the sound system?

If only it were :unsure: I'll never touch a Chrysler again no matter how pretty it looks. :rolleyes:

There is a recent topic for fixing for the clunk on the front side, the top strut mount was loose, try tighten the bolts or replace the rubber bit.

Hope it helps.