2.8 Crd Engine Is Cutting Off

karmannski

Question

13 answers to this question

Hi Karmannski,

That's tricky as we've not got a lot to go on!

But, by the sounds of it now it's cutting out the suspicion is the pressure relief valve failure that's quite a common one doing the rounds at the moment!

Take a look at 

by our old pal Daz and see if you can do the same test.

Replacing the valve is tricky as there are a few part numbers circulating so if you go to replace check closely the part you're replacing is an exact match (Some aren't exact thread size as a few people I've spoken to recently found out and kindly passed the info onto me).

Also, struggling to start on a morning could also be glow plugs, so time to test and perhaps replace:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vtGGp4Jqp8&t=8s

OK, if new glow plugs then more likely this fault shown on the video.

Daz is showing that you get fuel out of the pressure relief valve. You should get NO fuel out of there under normal conditions.

So, take plastic hose off the pressure relief valve. Plug or block the pipe now dangling (the return fuel line). Put a small plastic pipe onto the pressure relief valve output and put to a small container (Make sure it's secure for when you start).

Then start and run car a couple of minutes. See if any fuel. If there is, then you need to replace it.

Hope that helps.

Hi. I'm new over of Voyager 2.8 CRD and I have the same problem recently. I checked that valve and petrol was going not from that place only from fuel line pulled out from it. As engine starts only when I put key in to ignition and start without waiting for glow plugs to warm up. Today on the way to work engine stops and it was a bit scary as I was overtaking a lorry on 3th lane. This my be the same problem?

Hi all

Been having similar issues with starting first thing then once warm an absolute pig to start. Tried 5 maybe 6 goes to get the engine to start until today and as many previous posts changed the fuel filter & hey presto starts first time every time old filter was clogged with what I can only describe as gunge also had the engine decarbonized & not sure yet if it makes a difference only time will tell.