Gv 2.8Crd Catastrophic Breakdown Help Needed!

Showman89

Question

Took my GV in to a garage a while ago to have a replacement engine as the original 64k motor was losing significant water.

I sourced a replacement from a Voyager breakers, low miliege engine with all ancillaries for the mechanic to fit.

Prior to this engine swap, the car was driving faultlessly aside from the engine problem.

Picked it up on Friday, took it out yesterday for a drive down a 50mph road and realised that it was refusing to change up from 2nd gear. had nowhere to turn around so had to carry on down the road. After 30/40 seconds of being stuck at 4000rpm, the oil light came on along with engine management, and i pulled over as it was beginning to sound like a tractor. I tried to get back home with it, but I broke down on the way back. Oil still in it so looking to be oil pump. Would not fire back up and prior to cutting out, car was shaking and rattling terribly. The car was shifting gear perfectly before going in for the engine swap.

The garage is signed up to the motor ombudsman scheme, and i have spent a substantial amount of money with them so far (including a large amount trying to fix the first engine) and would like some advice to be armed with when I go to the garage tomorrow.

Thanks!

Edited by Showman89

7 answers to this question

Hi, it is very easy. Ask them first if they will pay for an independent test, take the car to a different garage( one with more prestige) then ask them if they will collect the car to be repaired, otherwise take it there( add this to their bill). And you only take the car back when it is working.

If they are not professional enough to deal with the problem, take it to a Chrysler dealer after you are assured by them that they will pay for the repairs.

Worse come worse, tell them you will get a lawyer involved. Go there confident, maintain calm and insist, they will obviously try not to pay and/or repair for free, but if is their fault, they should.

Replacing an engine is a bit complex and requires focus...if they overlooked something that was enough to damage the engine.

Hope it helps.

First thing with the gearbox not shifting, I'll bet one of the two or three connectors towards the front right of the engine bay weren't plugged back in, this is the control electronics for the autobox. Easily done, I did it when I replaced the flexplate on mine and it causes that problem, though that shouldn't have caused all the other issues (Other than revving slightly higher). That also caused my engine management light to come on too.

Oil light is the worrying one, that shows no oil pressure in the system so either oil pump or the circulation is damaged. Does it have a balance shaft assembly fitted on the base of the engine, when you drop the oil sump you see the shaft assembly, as if that's not been fitted then oil pressure circulation is stopped and the engine won't get it's correct lubrication (Again I know this by not fitting it back in during testing, but this was only for 1-2 minutes test, not driving conditions).

It does sound bad though as tractor sounding, shaking, etc (Was that at idle or trying to move?) sounds like the engine has suffered from lack of lubrication and might have thrown a big end or various other bits.

I would recommend against moving it or starting it again until it can be looked over, mainly I'm thinking drop the pan/drain oil and take a look at the underneath of the engine, see if anything is in the pan/damaged.

And mikebh8 is right, be prepared with an independent garage and know your rights, the garage that did the work for you has made an error somewhere.

Edited by andyb2000