2006 Grand Voyager Lx Stereo Help - My Car Does Not Have Dvd Etc

hundred

Question

Hi I have seen numerous posts with regards to the stereo system in the GV and how difficult it is to upgrade to an aftermarket unit, however these threads all seem to be related to the stereos that have DVD, nav etc.

My stereo is just a bog standard CD/Radio with no DVD, etc. Is it still just as much of a pain to change over or more straight forward, all I want to do is add a stereo with USB that will allow me to play music off my phone.

Any help is much appreciated

8 answers to this question

Hi, the easiest way is a fm radio transmitter, the second is a Bluetooth phone connection with an auxiliary output, or a new head unit with Bluetooth and other connection ways

The last one it has to be designed for Chrysler( there are out here as I was looking for mine) because of the round edges.

Hope it helps.

Yeah thanks, my car doesnt have AUX connector or anything like that, its just like the one in this picture.

Can anyone recommend a replacement that may fit and not require shed loads of rewiring, I was hoping it would just be a case of connecting an aftermarket radio, hopefully standard size with adaptor plate.

I have found a stereo on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chrysler-Grand-Voyager-DAB-Radio-Pioneer-stereo-DAB-USB-player-DAB-aerial/132258541630?hash=item1ecb39303e:g:qiMAAOSw7PJZZgRO

it says it is suitable but reading previous posts on here has made me a bit wary

Thanks Graham

post-1640-0-12500000-1510011822_thumb.jpg

Hi there,

See the other thread going on about aftermarket radios as I've put a load of information on there and I'm currently in the process of adding an Android aftermarket to mine, so afterwards I'll have the full HOWTO (Including modifying the front facia to make a double-din fit!)

Reading that ebay advert, I'd be dubious as I don't really think they know what they're talking about when it comes to Chrysler Grand Voyager compatibility as the whole advert is generic and includes the line:

• Radio Removal keys to allow you to remove your factory radio with ease

Which the GV's don't need removal keys, the radio is screwed in with 4 screws that are hidden by the large facia/bezel (You can see the screws in that photo you posted), so speak to them to be sure!

Generally, even though yours is a 'standard' radio it'll still be probably talking to a factory amp, 8 speakers around the car, etc, as they're not quite as simple as first thought. Steering controls are all CANBUS so that's another headache that is tricky to make work on an aftermarket.

Edited by andyb2000

Sadly Andy's probably right, unless you've attacked one (and I haven't) they seem to be rather too ruddy complex.

Still reckon it's worth a phone call though as their number is on the add, and see what your gut feeling is when you mention the amp etc, or if they seem like they are simply blagging it!

thanks for the replies guys, tbh i forgot i had steering wheel controls so that looks like it may complicate matters.

I think i will stick to the standard radio for now and do a little bit more research / await the howto.

I dont use my car a great deal due to getting stupidly low economy (20mpg from the 2.8CRD) and was mainly wanting it so when my daughter is in the car on long journeys (regularly do Scotland to Doncaster) she will be able to play her music instead of listening to radio noise in the poor signal areas.

Thanks again and does anyone knows if this economy is the norm or is my motor just a poor performer

No worries, hopefully have it all written up soon, including wiring harness colours and wiring as I think there might be a half-way option instead of replacing the whole stock head unit for those that want the 'easier' option. That way I've discovered would be to feed a new audio signal to 4 wires (stock head unit would need to be on) but in theory you could use an external bluetooth receiver or gadget with headphones out to feed audio. Stay tuned!!

Oh and that economy seems pretty low (Search the forums, it's a common one). Mine is a 2005 2.8CRD too and I get 30.5 according to trip computer (Not that accurate, but it's accurate enough to draw comparisons), and I do a 20 minute each way drive to work in heavy traffic and a bit of town driving, start-stop at lights, etc, so not 'hypermiling' it!

But that's a different thread totally!

New to the forum and to the car. Collecting a 2006 Gv hopefully the end of the week. It's a Ltd, so doesn't come with the dvd and sat nav. Is it possible to retro fit the system from a donor car. Ie, just bolt it in and plug it in. Has anyone done this. Not overly bothered, but found a whole set up cheap enough and appears to be from the same generation.