Speedometer Not Working!

Foggieloon

Question

Hi everyone,

I have a 2007 2.4 Executive Voyager in black.

The speedometer is not working but all other gauges are working fine.

It is not the needle at wrong side of stop problem and re-calibration has no effect.

My local garage has had a look at the issue but they were unable to rectify it.

They ruled out sensors and fuses!

Is there anything I can check without incurring heavy garage charges to trace the fault?

My electrical knowledge is somewhat limited and any clear guidance in this matter would be much appreciated.

8 answers to this question

Mine was looking same as the one that I replaced with, did they remove the sensor or just tested..?

A manual car will not go into limp mode because of the speed sensor, an auto probably.

Mine was identical with the replacement one, the difference (not visible by eye) is the plastic gear was worn and not engaging with the shaft...

I don't remember where I put the old one but if I find it I'll upload a picture so you can see there is no difference.

Is wither that or the gears o the shaft...is very unlikely but if you have access to a second driveshaft try replacing it...

Is not difficult, a bit of oil will come out, it can always be refilled. I got one from scrap yard, if I remember well was £8 or £10... It is held by one bolt( again if I remember well) 10mm size.

When you fit the "new" one, play it a little bit or move the shaft slightly left and right so it settles in properly..

Hope you sort it.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the fast response.

The vehicle is a 2.4 manual petrol.

I have attached the garage report and it seems they they have checked the sensor?

they also supplied me with known fixes for this problem also attached

On the first picture it says road test, did that involve a diagnostic machine hooked to the ECU and the speed came up?!?!

I doubt.

Hi Mike,

The vehicle does not go into limp mode.

You may be right about the sensor. It may be worth purchasing a new sensor.

Is it a pig of a job?

I have a workshop manual on cd

and a haynes manual.

cheers

Hi foggieloon.

I had a similar problem with my GV.

It started with an intermittent speed reading, that sometimes stuck at 55mph and if you went over a bump the needle would jump up to 70mph.

Then wouldn't work at all.

I traced this down to a bad connection from the speedo (tacho) needle connections to the circuit board.

It's an easy fix, I just soldered the block back onto the pcb and carried out the dash self calibration then happy days, it's not let me down since ?

I hope this helps.