Sebring Cruise Control....

Briscoe76

Question

Morning all.

My wife has a 2009 Sebring 2 litre diesel, and every since we have had it, the cruise control dosen't work properly.

I've tried spraying the switch internals with WD40 etc, and that hasn't cured anything.

On the odd occasion it comes on, but moments later it shuts off again.

I discovered this morning that it seems to be when the steering wheel passes through the "wheels straight" position it cuts out.

Heres a video

https://youtu.be/yiKosc4syyA

Can anyone shed any light at all?

Many thanks in advance

Matt.

5 answers to this question

Very interesting, I take it it's the same thing if you start from turned right and turn left past center?

Yep it does exactly the same thing. It’s always as the wheel passes through dead centre. Which is the position the wheel is generally in when you are cruising along the motorway. I’m wondering if it’s anything to do with the famous ‘clock spring’ behind the airbag.

Yep it does exactly the same thing. It’s always as the wheel passes through dead centre. Which is the position the wheel is generally in when you are cruising along the motorway. I’m wondering if it’s anything to do with the famous ‘clock spring’ behind the airbag.

Most likely is the spring wire behind the air bag, if you are good with tools, the air bag is easy to remove (don't forget to disconnect the battery first). Once the air bag is removed, the spring is contained in a box that goes around the axle( like a donut). It can be checked.

Hope it helps.