Low Milage Yet More Than 6 Years Old, Is A Cam Belt Change Needed

Dido

Question

Re: 1.4 Multiar

I bought mine with 10k on the clock and been doing only 2-3 k a year as we predominantly use the French 7 seater MPV with the kids keeping my Delta Alcantra leather out of the way of little hands and feet harm.

My question is basically at only 26k, but 2011 reg, should I worry about cam belt?

6 answers to this question

Re: 1.4 Multiar

I bought mine with 10k on the clock and been doing only 2-3 k a year as we predominantly use the French 7 seater MPV with the kids keeping my Delta Alcantra leather out of the way of little hands and feet harm.

My question is basically at only 26k, but 2011 reg, should I worry about cam belt?

Rubber degrades over time, heat and cold accelerate this degradation

Your timing belt is made of rubber and your engine heats up and cools down

If you have a local (pet) mechanic or a willing Fiat main dealer, I would certainly consider a belt change, simply on time alone, if your car is running with the pink coolant it is also due a change

A friend of mine bought a low (ish) milage Delta integrale and was shocked to have to change the original 22 years old timing belt!!!!

Edited by Andrewgrale

In the maintenance handbook, if present, would be stated the intervals of mileage and years the can belt to be changed.

Same as oil and filters ( which is one year or the mileage) the cam belt is usually due to replace at 5 years or mileage( which usually is 60000 miles but may differ from manufacturer).

Hope it helps.

My 1.6 Diesel variant had her timing hair changed after 6 years and 38k miles.

The cost of the change is, compared to the price of a new engine a lot less!

I change fuel filter, oil and oil filter at same yearly service. Pollen changed this service as well - every 2 years for that one.

My tyres swopped front to back, have completed 20k miles in 4 years and hopefully will last another year or two - there was loads of tread left on old fronts.

Only worried by air-con commitment to excessive heat before going away, but she coped very well with high French temperatures 111oF plus and will get this checked next service - May 2018, cor thats a long way away!!!

Penguin