Cambelt Change

Lindzy

Question

Afternoon All,

My 2013 Delta, with 87K on the clock required a CamBelt change.

Two things:-

1) would you also look at getting the water pump replaced at the same time?

2) Anyone know of a reputable garage in the Peterborough area, that won't charge the earth?

Thanks in advance for any help / assistance provided. :)

15 answers to this question

Afternoon All,

My 2013 Delta, with 87K on the clock required a CamBelt change.

Two things:-

1) would you also look at getting the water pump replaced at the same time?

2) Anyone know of a reputable garage in the Peterborough area, that won't charge the earth?

Thanks in advance for any help / assistance provided. :)

Hi Lindzy and welcome along !

If there's 84k miles on the pump and you have no evidence that it has been changed in the cars lifetime, I would take the opportunity to do it now, as it would be at least 5 years old now ????

The reason that most garages recommend a pump change is because most are ran by the timing belt now and most timing belts are now in kit form and include new guide bearings, belt stretcher and some include the pump and gasket, when the new belt is fitted the new stretcher puts a different tension on the belt (because it is new) and this may be more than the old belt, which is a different push or pull on the old water pump (if it hasn't been replaced) what often happens is, that 3 or 4 months after you replace the timing belt and don't renew the pump, the pump begins to leak because of the different tension

Apologies for the rambling response, your eyes have probably glazed over

Hi Lindzy, sorry can't help with Peterborough as I'm in Cheshire, and the only other I know is in Birmingham AKA Motormech that Nello uses.

Or maybe a bit nearer is Autolusso in Dunstable?

http://www.autolusso.co.uk/services.html

They are highly regarded in the Alfa world and are roughly an hour from you.

As Andrew says as the water pump is driven by the belt it only makes sense to change it at the same time as they already have the car stripped down. It's only and extra two bolts to undo and the cost of the pump is fairly cheap.

Can you please send the link to the parts supplier, would Gates belt be more reliable....

Keep your eye on eBay as the kits regularly come up cheap as chips. I only buy Gates kits and my Master Tech won't fit anything else as they are such good quality. I think I paid around £70 -£75 last time and that included the water pump.

That's good going Andrew! If nothing else it gives you some peace of mind now that everything should be rosey for another 4 years!

This will make you laugh... I had mine changed back in Feb I think, done on time rather than miles, but the Aux belt was perfect so we left it. Then in April I had a panic attack that I'd not done the belts in the Delta, so did them again! Only this time we found a grumble in the Aux bearing so changed that as well.

In my defence I buy and sell Italian cars, so I have quite a few going through the workshop which sometimes need belts etc. So neither me nor Nigel could remember if the Delta had been done or not. I couldn't find the invoice and Nigel had forgotten to stamp the book! Doh!!

Anyway book now stamped and invoice found and placed in the history folder where it belongs... I guess looking on the bright side we wouldn't have found the Aux belt fault until it was too late if we hadn't stripped it all down again :lol:

Edited by MikeyRules

I thought that the auxiliary belt stretcher bearing was a bit iffy on my wife's Delta, I hadn't gotten 1, but will keep an eye on it, both it and the timing belt tensioner are plastic! Talk about planned obsolescence . . I have a 1991 Tipo diesel in the corner of my yard, that has 420,000 miles on it, including 6 years rallying with me, my wife learning to drive in it, I have owned it since it was 6 months old and no one else has ever worked on it . . I have never changed the timing belt tensioner or guide bearings and at last change, were still quiet and tight!

I thought that the auxiliary belt stretcher bearing was a bit iffy on my wife's Delta, I hadn't gotten 1, but will keep an eye on it, both it and the timing belt tensioner are plastic! Talk about planned obsolescence . . I have a 1991 Tipo diesel in the corner of my yard, that has 420,000 miles on it, including 6 years rallying with me, my wife learning to drive in it, I have owned it since it was 6 months old and no one else has ever worked on it . . I have never changed the timing belt tensioner or guide bearings and at last change, were still quiet and tight!

I blame the robots! Cutting corners lol!

Yeah 90's diesels were hewn from granite, not like these clogged up DPF - EGR strangled lumps of plastic!

Whilst I admire being able to extrapolate 120 horses out of a tiny 1.6, or 170 / 200 ponies out of the 2.0 they do have a few crosses to bear compared to the older common rails, plus a few suspect parts...

I sourced a 90's long wheel based Pajero for a friend that was emigrating to Bulgaria. It had 120k on it (This was in 2000) and she drove it to Southern Bulgaria and it's been her daily ever since. It's got just under 300k on it, and apart from an intercooler, a couple of wheel bearings and battery it's never failed her. She lives in the mountains so the weather is harsh in the winter and 30c plus summers, but will probably out live her the way things are going!

@ Mike . Regarding the "good going"

I am a former Fiat top technician (3 times)

A placed finalist in the world championships in Turin (7th, 5th and 3rd overall)

If I couldn't make sense of a Fiat group car, id be very disappointed in myself ;-D

Well you certainly know your stuff then as that's quite some accolade.

I had an inkling you'd been associated with the brand... Funny how none of the Tech's I've met can leave the brand for very long! Almost fatal attraction lol!

Well you certainly know your stuff then as that's quite some accolade.

I had an inkling you'd been associated with the brand... Funny how none of the Tech's I've met can leave the brand for very long! Almost fatal attraction lol!

Indeed it is lol

The only non-Italian I have ever owned, was a Porsche 911 :-D

And I sold that after a few weeks

Italian cars have a way of getting under your skin

Indeed it is lol

The only non-Italian I have ever owned, was a Porsche 911 :-D

And I sold that after a few weeks

Italian cars have a way of getting under your skin

Yeah I'm not quite as bad as that... Well ok definitely only Italian for the last 10 years, but before that I used to import quite a few of the JDM cars from Japan when the Yen was good, have dabbled/raced in Lotus, rebuilt a few classic Opel's (Manta's/Monza etc), run a good few Saab's, but started life in 80's fiat's and Alfa's. My very first Alfa being a 1.5ti Sud, and first Fiat a 3 door Mirrafori! I say 3 door because the drivers door wouldn't open!! :lol: