Loud Clicking Noise Climate Control Area Of Dash!?

MikeyRules

Question

As the title suggest... I have a loud clicking sound almost like a cog slipping coming from the Climate control unit when I first turn on the ignition!??

It goes away after about 15-20 seconds. My climate working fine, ice cold or warm and the fan operates as it should, so I'm a bit bewildered as to what's going on.

Any ideas chaps?

19 answers to this question

Hi, happens to one of my cars when first turned the ignition on after the battery was removed...the aircon loses its memory, never found out why though, it could be an electronic component in the motherboard of the aircon, and it tries to bring the flaps to the desired settings even though the flaps are already in place, the clicking noise is the motor overlapping.

Hope it helps.

Possibly the recycle/recirculating air flap? There's a separate little motor thingy which cycles as the system powers up ???

Fiat Bravo has the same system

Andrew I think you're right! If I press the recirc button it does stop after a second or two. But if I press it again to allow outside in it starts again for about 10/15 seconds.

I've found some of the threads on the Fiat forum, but the ones I've seen are talking about replacing the whole heater box!! Gulp!

Right just found a Climate Control reset procedure and followed it through with a positive result! :D

Here for those who may need it in the future!!

CLIMATE CONTROL SELF-LEARNING PROCEDURE

The AUTO and MONO buttons must be pressed simultaneously within 40 seconds of the ignition being turned to the ON position in order to active this procedure.

A few seconds later a figure will appear on the display (in place of the driver's side set temperature) which will count down to indicate the time remaining before the start of the procedure. At the same time (i.e. whilst the count down is taking place) the previous self-learning status is signalled on the passenger temperature setting:

'1' flashes if the previous self-learning procedure failed.
'0' indicates that the previous self-learning procedure was successful.

This procedure is not carried out if at least one of the above mentioned buttons is released whilst the figure on the left hand side is not zero (this is designed to check the outcome of the previous self-learning procedure).

Exiting the procedure zeroes the 40 second counting period from when the ignition is switched ON, to allow the procedure to be repeated without having to switch the ignition OFF.

Each time a new control unit is fitted, the flap actuator learning test must be carried out using the diagnostic equipment and the unit must be personalized through programming.

B*ll*cks!

Well scratch that... It worked for all of f'ing half an hour and then started again!!!

From what I've seen on the Fiat forum you have to remove the gear stick surround, centre console side panel, glove box and glove box mounting to be able to access the motors that drive the recirc flaps. What a total ball ache! I think there are 3 motors in total, so am going to need to strip it all down and get some part numbers!

Wish me look!!

Edited by MikeyRules

Ahhhh that's crap !!!!

The question is . . Does it drive you THAT daft ????

Yeah on full auto it does it quite a lot as the motors change where the airflow is to be directed. The clicks are quite loud too. One of the guys with a Bravo disconnected the recirc motor, leaving it on permanently open which is an option.

Others have suggested replacing all 3 motors as they are renowned for failing...

If the flap only slipped from the motor, it can be redirected to its place, if it's cracked ( they tend to that), it needs replaced or fixed...either way the dash centre frame needs to be undone( there are usually two, so at least one needs undone and it's usually the passenger side as it is more space to work on).

On a Citroen C5, the whole transversal bar needed out. Good luck.

Right just found a Climate Control reset procedure and followed it through with a positive result! :D

Here for those who may need it in the future!!

CLIMATE CONTROL SELF-LEARNING PROCEDUREThe AUTO and MONO buttons must be pressed simultaneously within 40 seconds of the ignition being turned to the ON position in order to active this procedure.

A few seconds later a figure will appear on the display (in place of the driver's side set temperature) which will count down to indicate the time remaining before the start of the procedure. At the same time (i.e. whilst the count down is taking place) the previous self-learning status is signalled on the passenger temperature setting:

'1' flashes if the previous self-learning procedure failed.

'0' indicates that the previous self-learning procedure was successful.

This procedure is not carried out if at least one of the above mentioned buttons is released whilst the figure on the left hand side is not zero (this is designed to check the outcome of the previous self-learning procedure).

Exiting the procedure zeroes the 40 second counting period from when the ignition is switched ON, to allow the procedure to be repeated without having to switch the ignition OFF.

Each time a new control unit is fitted, the flap actuator learning test must be carried out using the diagnostic equipment and the unit must be personalized through programming.

Good info...is that a general climate reset?! I'll try the Peugeot when I have a minute.

Right just to update this properly and for future reference for any other Delta/Bravo owners out there...

So the complaint is that when I start the car I get a loud clicking sound coming from behind the centre of the dashboard. It does it several times and then stops unless you change the settings on the aircon or open a window for example.

So to explain what's going on then... Basically the climate control system does a self test when you first start the car, which includes opening and closing the recirculation flap which is located behind the dash at the top of the bulkhead. This flap in essence allows air from outside to circulate when open or closes to recirculate just the air already inside the cabin. The motor uses plastic cogs to do this and over time they strip their teeth off, and the motor can no longer open or close this flap.

Now when I start the car and the climate control does a self test it tries to open and close the flap several times and when it fails it stops. When you press the recirculation button or open a window for example the system also tries again.

The problem lies in how to fix it! It's basically a dash out job, which in itself is a horrible job taking several hours and then a replacement recirculation unit fitted, and then whole lot put back in again!

Neither myself or my Tech liked the idea of this as obviously there's a lot of labour cost involved due to the man hours to do this, plus you have to ask yourself the question is it really worth it given the function this part plays?

We ended up just disconnecting the flap rods from the cogs and wedging the flap in the open position to stop any further annoying clicking sound and job done!

Right just to update this properly and for future reference for any other Delta/Bravo owners out there...

So the complaint is that when I start the car I get a loud clicking sound coming from behind the centre of the dashboard. It does it several times and then stops unless you change the settings on the aircon or open a window for example.

So to explain what's going on then... Basically the climate control system does a self test when you first start the car, which includes opening and closing the recirculation flap which is located behind the dash at the top of the bulkhead. This flap in essence allows air from outside to circulate when open or closes to recirculate just the air already inside the cabin. The motor uses plastic cogs to do this and over time they strip their teeth off, and the motor can no longer open or close this flap.

Now when I start the car and the climate control does a self test it tries to open and close the flap several times and when it fails it stops. When you press the recirculation button or open a window for example the system also tries again.

The problem lies in how to fix it! It's basically a dash out job, which in itself is a horrible job taking several hours and then a replacement recirculation unit fitted, and then whole lot put back in again!

Neither myself or my Tech liked the idea of this as obviously there's a lot of labour cost involved due to the man hours to do this, plus you have to ask yourself the question is it really worth it given the function this part plays?

We ended up just disconnecting the flap rods from the cogs and wedging the flap in the open position to stop any further annoying clicking sound and job done!

If you have access to the multiecuscan software, you can re-teach the flaps and the system where the end of travel are again

Funny you should mention this again though Mike - I noticed recently on occasion when it does the initial 'sweep' on startup - it sometimes does not direct the air in the travel flow you demand. I think the system on the Delta in general is a bit weak anyway. I never seem to be able to get more than a gentle 'blow' in the direction I want (matron!) - especially noticeable during this time of year as the weather gets cooler. (i.e. on your cold hands when you've just got in!) The system in my old Coupe was ace - massive heat like a bloomin-hair-dryer!! That's progress for you..................... Touching wood as I type - My AC is OK currently but I think I've mentioned before I don't think I've had a single car that has had a reliable AC unit in it. Something always goes wrong. 

Edited by Nello

Funny you should mention this again though Mike - I noticed recently on occasion when it does the initial 'sweep' on startup - it sometimes does not direct the air in the travel flow you demand. I think the system on the Delta in general is a bit weak anyway. I never seem to be able to get more than a gentle 'blow' in the direction I want (matron!) - especially noticeable during this time of year as the weather gets cooler. (i.e. on your cold hands when you've just got in!) The system in my old Coupe was ace - massive heat like a bloomin-hair-dryer!! That's progress for you..................... Touching wood as I type - My AC is OK currently but I think I've mentioned before I don't think I've had a single car that has had a reliable AC unit in it. Something always goes wrong. 

Gentle blow and touching wood in the same paragraph! :lol:  I think you best give Mrs Nello some advanced warning! :P

I've not noticed the strength of the blower to be weak, especially if you select the face vents only for example on full pelt it's pretty strong.

Hmm - I may have to look in my footwells then Mike - Don't get me wrong  - the cabin warms up ok but just you never seem to feel the force of direction from the heater that strongly IMO - especially to the face vents...... I can hear the flaps moving during the sweep though. Perhaps I was just spoilt in the Coupe. Mrs Nello's 500X is bloomin' ace as well  B)

Yeah deffo worth checking out -

Glad you're liking the 500x! We thought it was the best modern Fiat we'd driven as it handled pretty well on the Italian twisty's and the 4 wheel drive helped on the hills too! Not the best legroom in the rear and the boot not exactly cavernous either, but that aside really good fun. Even my dad said he'd have one, and that's not like him at all lol.

Mikey did you ever sort this out before selling your car?

In short... No.

Once I realised it was a whole dash out job, and the fact my fault was only on the 'recirculation' circuit it wasn't worth the effort. 

I simply jammed the flap open to allow fresh air in, which meant I only lost the ability to close the air off from outside on the odd occasion that I would have wanted to limit outside smells coming into the cabin!

Everything else worked fine, and where you wanted it...  

I think at least two my flap actuator motor 'gears' have snapped.. They are nigh-on impossible to get to. I've managed to move the upper flap open to get air to the screen but I even seem to only get hot air as well now..........  :(  Really don't want to remove the entire dash. Not entirely sure how that reset procedure works or how to interpret the display but if my suspicions are correct it'll probably read as working ok as I think the motors themselves are fine - its just with the broken internal cogs they are simply not moving anything. Common issue on Bravos apparently with the same heater. This is the bit that fails - s-l640.jpg

0_0_productGfx_972aef7beae843470f026f6fc

Edited by Nello