Windscreen - A Proactive Warning To Check For A Possible Delamination Problems

Penguin2007

Question

Just back from seeing some Snails and eating garlic.

c/o a wonderful French motorway, my windscreen was hot by a sizeable chunk of debris. In fact after closer examination she took, bless her four separate hits within a folded in two, five euro note in the lower viewable part of drivers side.

Now the fun starts......

Windscreen covered by glass cover in UK - yes covered abroad, but .....

We had booked into three separate hotels: Lille (for the Pashendaele 100 event), Mareuil-sur-Ay, Champagne region (email me privately for an excellent B&B at a Champagne house) and Maubeuge (note all restaurants close on Mondays!). Therefore we were already on the back foot to getting a new windscreen in prior to 'moving on'.

There were no windscreens to be had. None in France. Nor in Belgium...... All completed in my very useful Penguin French - to a call handler via Leicester in France. Confused I was.

OK book it in for fitting when I get back to UK.

Driveable condition - the rocks had only damaged the outside glass, the plastic membrane held the inner layer together.

When the glass eventually had been ordered and booked in two weeks down the line (we were still in France / Belgium), it transpires that my request had stretched the glass supply chain in. the UK and my replacement was the only one in the UK at the time.

Glazer arrives at the crack of dawn, to fit the glass, when he states that there had also been water ingress along all four sides of the screen. IF you look carefully, the black edge of the lamination should all be black. Mine had a wonderful lacy effect which apparently shows that the glass had started to delaminate around the edges.

​So, three weeks after having my scare at 80 mph on the French motorway, I have a lovely pristine windscreen. Have to put in a new wiper blade as the sharp shattered edges have trashed the original rubber of the blade but with Penguin French, three international telephone calls and a Brise agent that spoke no English .....

An interesting holiday!

Oh and as a last though .... 1500 miles at just over 50 mpg of biodiesel. Cruised on the motorway at 80mph and doodled around the Champagne areas at a sedate pace. Add to that the air was not too good for the engine. It ranged in temperature from 20 to above 45oC. HOT!!!

Penguin

Apologises if you need a new windscreen in the near future - next has to come from Italy

Options on the screen include IIRC: tint, rain sensor, heated screen, LHD / RHD, etc etc etc.......

3 answers to this question

I hate getting a new screen fitted to any car. Its a real lottery with who you get to fit as well. There are some horror stories with Fiat Coupes' and pattern screens (OE screens are no longer available). AA Auto windscreens were good for the last one I had but have heard some real issues with Autoglass.

Hi Nello / Andrew

It was a matter of having to get it done as it was not an MOT pass and was effectively in viewable area.

The repair was completed by another company not mentioned above, lots of bond went down and the car was not moved for 24 hours.

As it was an insurance replacement, at least I have a bit of backing if it is not perfect.

Penguin