Brake Lights Stay On While Driving

Curstu

Question

This started earlier today. The air bag warning light came on and someone kindly told me the brake lights were permanently on. Unsure if two issues are linked.

Airbag failure light has not shown again.

Have also had the hill start assist fail and associated warning lights showing for a week.

Problems started when the oil change and service lights were not reset by the garage that sold the vehicle.

6 answers to this question

Yeah I'm with Rosso... Definitely sounds like the brake pedal switch in regards to your brakes staying on. Simple and quick to fix too!

As for the airbag I doubt that would be related, so best get the codes read to see if there's an underlying issue, and get any legacy codes removed too. Also at the same time get the 2 service indicators (Oil degradation and time) reset as well.

I doubt very much that not having the service indicators reset has caused anything to be honest, just bad timing. One other thing I'd check out is the battery health. Quite often when a battery is coming to the end of it life you get a few weird warning (and unrelated ones) lights appear.

Edited by MikeyRules

Thanks both!

I Will look into those suggestions. Seems the brake switch is key to resolving the problems. Would that be main dealer only?

Interesting about battery as the alternator warning light is staying on after glow plug lights go out. Assumed it was because of the other issues.

Thanks both!

I Will look into those suggestions. Seems the brake switch is key to resolving the problems. Would that be main dealer only?

Interesting about battery as the alternator warning light is staying on after glow plug lights go out. Assumed it was because of the other issues.

No in fact I'd recommend using a good Indy as their labour rates will be much cheaper!

Whereabouts are you? We may be able to recommend somewhere...

The brake light switch on the Delta are similar to the 08 Fiat Bravo

The switch is on a ratchet type of clip which can sometimes lose its location, usually due to getting a foot beneath the pedal and lifting the pedal towards the driver

To relocate the switch, expose the switch and gently lever it towards the brake pedal until it 'clicks'

The pedal should have a little free play until it operates the braking system and the lights come on

If you can't detect the free play just pull the brake pedal upwards and start again