Key Fob

Monkeyste

Question

5 answers to this question

So, if you want a second key..well either way you don't need main dealer for this, any mobile mechanic( a decent one obviously) with a good ecu software can do this... You need a virgin chip and a new key cut to size. If you want a remote fob, you first need to know the type you need.

If your car comes with powered doors the remote has 5 buttons( or 6 if it comes with the panic option, or find car option). That can be a second hand one, as long as no one added more remotes to it, you can add up to four ( some models may vary), if indeed four remotes had been paired to the module previously, a good programmer should be able to reset it, when I say programmer I mean white hat ( or black hat for that matter, or as they are called hackers), I never done it, but I spoke about it with other people.

The easiest way is to buy an alarm module with two keys already, being a separate "brain" from the ecu, it should work.

Hope it helps.

As usual I cannot upload a picture, so I will type the information I want to share with others:

To reprogram a key, it is referring to the ignition key and not to the remote fob, the fallowing must be done:

Note, two programmed keys necessary

• using the first programmed key, switch ignition on and off within 15 sec
  • using the second programmed key, switch ignition on and off within 15 sec
  • programming mode activated ( acoustic signal should be heard)

proceed as fallows completing the step within 50 sec

• insert key to be programmed into ignition switch
  • switch ignition on and off
  • within 10 sec single acoustic  signal will be heard and immobiliser led stops flashing and illuminates for 3 seconds to indicate correct programming
  • repeat complete procedure to program remaining keys ( this I'm not sure if it means from the beginning or from "inserting the key to be programmed" as I still have to try it)
  • a maximum of 8 keys can be added.

I'll add more info once I have done mine, good practice to have more spare keys.

Obviously the above steps does not help if a key is lost, or the only key is lost for that matter, but once you paid 140... or more to have one, it is very useful to know this to save some money for the future.

Hope it helps.

Edited by mikebh8

I admire your attempt to 'have a go'. I  [and bignev] like you tried this many years ago for no reason other than curiosity .. .. as I already had x2 working keys and FOBS and mMaxiDAS708 will code keys, my x431 will not, as bignev said its not the person its the kit. Most mobile key techies use a keys only specific tool that does not do immobiliser, ECU and remote's. Just ask anyone you choose to use if they can do what you want them to do - and - if they won't charge you anything if they can't do the job you are paying for.

The test is easy - (1) reveal the 6th 'panic' button [little microswitch, that can be depressed] on your already coded key & FOB and you still won't be able to do it because the 'track' on the membrane is missing and (2) because for whatever reason the SKIM codes can't be read even with a good generalist diagnostic machine.

See here and the best of luck.

To be continued..I've ordered the blanks with the transponder and I'll give it a try with only the manufacturer's steps.

Plus I opened one of the keys that I have and separate the key from the transponder...that with the remote fob will be installed in a key&fob (one body) soon as I receive them.

Unfortunately, as previous stated, I can't upload pictures, but I'll post links and step by step instructions, if it works.