Delta 12 Plate: Rear Light Cluster Info....

Penguin2007

Question

Hi All

Had an error warning come up on the Delta dash within a few days of purchase - looks like an 'orange spark plug' ... with 'check LHS turn indicator'.

The warning light self corrects if i) you switch the ignition off or ii) you turn on the left hand indicator or iii) if you open and lock the car door with the spare key at the garage leaving the engine running on forecourt.

The car went in with my other fault, (cruise control & hill start) but the computer diagnostics download did not have any error messages for this fault.

After a hairy trip out, with no left turn indicators at all - the car was taken back to the seller, and referred on to Chrysler for a diagnosis check. (Remembered to take a photo of the dash light to prove the point). It was the third time, I had been back to seller with same fault.

LUCKILY this time, the error had been recorded by the on board diagnostics computer, and it turns out to be a faulty rear light cluster. A complete replacement required - even though its just the left turn indicator.

Thats the good news.

The bad news is the nearest replacement part is in ..... Italy!

Ordered, and hopefully here before I venture off on my tour to Scotland next week.

[i do not know the error code that has been thrown up on the Chrysler diagnostic checker].

Regards

Chris

Morris A35 Van, Ford Cortina Mk3, Ford Cortina Mk4, Fiat Uno x 2, Fiat Punto, Fiat Tipo, Fiat Bravo x 2, Fiat Stilo, Fiat Bravo, and now ... Chrysler Delta 1.6 Sat Nav plus

When a big wad of notes is required I always think it's worth checking if the unrepairable is actually fixable, there is a principle that says if it was assembled you must be able to take it apart and what isn't practical for a stealer to do isn't so bad at zero pounds per hour for me! I once knew some one who worked at a main dealer (not fiat) and he would take home any electronic bits removed under warranty and try and fix them out of interest and quite often he could.

Yeah I've got a friend like that who will have a go at fixing anything. He's a retired electronics' engineer and he loves a challenge... The only problem is that he's always busy so only any good if you can leave it with him for a few weeks.

I'm pretty good with most things as have refurb'd a few houses, rebuilt a few cars both classic and modified etc., am ok at soldering, but have no idea when it comes to circuit boards.

Yes gents I always try to take a look first but with electronics and the fact that its intermittant and now in another location - suspect it may be more than a simple solder........ I'll see how it goes but I hate it when there something noticeable thats not working.... 

Removed the rear light unit this evening - Must be the easiest Light cluster to ever remove on any car. x2 8mm Internal Allen key bolts accessed from the boot side pod and the whole light unit comes away. In fact it comes out so easy you need to be carefull it does not fall to the floor. I have had fights with things like this over the years with clips and broken/skinned fingers but these are the simplest ever! There is only one single small square connector plug as well for the whole assembly and its off. Unfortunately the thing is a complete sealed unit. Not chance of getting back inside but still worth removing as it gives you a chance to remove all that muck and green moss from the cluster edges - small gap between the join to remove. I did think maybe just reseating the plug may have done it as its initially all worked fine but popped out again tonight and it was on/off. Its now the middle 3 LEDS of the inner light strip instead of the bottom 3 it was initially for some reason.

Anyway will watch - might be a new replacement unit after all - They are £185 off eper from Lancia so £120 was a decent price.... 

Maybe I'll get the hairdryer on it Rosso............. I can believe damp may get in as they are not that well sealed at all - hence the moss around the edges. They are so easy to remove though - got to worth a night in the airing cupboard!

Hairdryers? Is this some sort of girl invention you speak of? :P

...and airing cupboards? What sort of 20th century wives tale is this? :lol:  (As you can tell... I own neither lol!)

These modern plastic lights are notorious for letting in moisture and the odd bit of wildlife. My MX5 had a dead fly in the nearside rear light and for the life of me I couldn't get it out.

I have known people to carefully place a little bag of silica gel inside the cover where possible, although from your description this sounds like that's not possible either?

Removed my unit again yesterday and throughly 'wamed' with a hair dryer to remove any internal dampness - got the black casing nicely heated. Once you have unplugged the wiring connector - you can actually pull out the connector socket at the light end which opens an approx. 12mm square hole in to the back of the light circuits etc. Blow dryed away in there...........

Reconnected and all seems well so far! I'll see how it goes. Probably where your spider got in Rosso. There are two small screws that seem to secure some of the circuit boarding and two nuts that hold down the securing rods that go through the bodywork. I did loosen these as well but I'm sure the unit is also glued together so no real chance of getting direct inside.

Edited by Nello

Middle 3 LED's in the centre of the right hand strip on the nearside still sometimes on / sometimes off. Am going to see if I can prise the unit apart but I really think I'm going to have to source a new unit. If anyone sees a dealer clearout or breaking Chrysler - let me know.....

Just to update this - only took me a year. I finally replaced my complete light unit with a new one. Sourced one from a German seller. It was new and un-used but had a slight chip off the very bottom corner which is hardly noticeable so was a bargain 50 Euro! All LED's now perfect :)

Ah good job! My nearside rear is playing up occasionally. I only know because of the odd time the misses has been behind me out on the road, so difficult to know how much it does it!

p.s. My new door from Italy has been painted and fitted whoop whoop! £600 lighter in the wallet though so still licking my wounds lol!

Right now its my turn for a failing rear off-side light cluster...Well the indicator part anyway which has totally stopped flashing when I want to turn right. I got the bulb out warning on the dash, plus the indicator arrow flashes faster, presumably as there is now a current difference as the unit is dead...

I'm struggling to find a replacement lower than £140 delivered, and even then it'll take about two weeks to get to me! Gulp!

I could ideally do with one quicker, and obviously a lot cheaper! Any ideas chaps??

Edited by MikeyRules

Try Autodoc.com still not cheap though and not sure if price includes vat or not!

I think I've seen them somewhere else for less than £100 but can't recall where

Ah think you might linked the wrong site there Rosso as that's for software?

Well the plot thickens as the actual LED's do work... When I alarm the car they flash perfectly, but when I indicate or put the hazards on they just flash once and won't again? There must be some sort of circuit inside the unit for the flash? Obviously there is power to the lights, and the actual LED's aren't faulty as they flash on arm/disarm of the alarm, so possibly as dry joint on an internal circuit board???

I checked the side light/brake light part of the unit and that's working perfectly for now...

Anyway I've very reluctantly bought a brand new one from Germany for an eye watering £130 inc DHL courier delivery! Just hope it gets here fast!!