Re-Chroming Of 20" Wheels

SRTSCOTTY

Hiya everybody,

Been checking out the forum a few times now just for interest but now I need some guidance from hopefully some fellow SRT owners

I have a 60 plate SRT saloon and it's chrome wheels aren't the best (shame cos the rest is bar a few minor scratches) and I would like to know best way (or any way) to get the wheels re-done?

Thanks in advance,

Scotty

post-1952-0-60937500-1501167885_thumb.jpg

Hi, you need wet/dry sandpaper from...let's say from 120-200-400-600-800-1000-1200-1500-2000-4000-6000.

Than you need( that's what I use...there is more out there) "glass polishing compound" for the last stage ( you can repeat the polish as many times as you wish.

Don't skip any sandpaper grits, use all from the lowest, if they're not bad you can skip the 120, but I would start with that.

You also need patience, if you do it by hand it will be around 5-6 hours per wheel, if you use a powered tool probably half the time ( but if you do use powered one use circular not the vibrating one), just don't rush it, cause at the end you will see scratches and you will want to start all over again.

I use wet/dry the wet way, with a spraying bottle, clean water and keep spraying water at all times as you sand, every once in a while you spray on the sandpaper to remove the debris and before every grit change, spray well the wheel surface to remove the debris.

Once everything is done and you can see yourself in the alloy surface, clean them well with ( again that's what I use but there is other products out there) nail polish remover and once they dry spray them with clear lacquer 3-4 times ( don't buy cheap one). You can spray them more coats...not too many though, allow each coat to dry before applying another one. Make sure, when applying the lacquer, the environment is dust free( a garage or a shed is suitable).

The above process it saves around 250-300 pounds, I use the same process for headlights except the lacquer.

Hope it helps.