Timing Belt Job Diy - 2.8 Crd

karmannski

Question

12 answers to this question

...same with the thermostat, you have to remove the wipers' motor cover and motor as behind there is the exhaust cam shaft blocking hole. Buy the blocking kit don't mess with drill bits.

Disconnect the battery, remove the starter, the crankshaft blocking hole is behind the starter.

Sure you can replace the timing belt without blocking the shafts as some would say, but I found a very useful video(in Russian but you get the point from the pictures) on YouTube that to replace the belt easily, after blocking the crankshaft and the camshafts, you undo the bolts from the camshafts and to fit the new belt is like dancing in the rain.

Make sure you find the torque values for each bolt before you start tightening as I broke a pulley coil thread inside the block.

Before putting the cover back on, turn the engine clockwise making sure the timing is right.

If you do the water pump as well, you have to remove the back cover too, in that case the camshafts' gears would have to come off.

Good luck.

Hope it helps.

The camshafts doesn't have pins so the blocking kit is essential.

Just doing the belt would run you something like 4 hours, closer to 10 when doing the waterpump too.

Would personally do both as a WP failure ruins everything.

Did mine 6k kilometers ago, not looking forward to next change at 300k kms

When the thermostat dies next time I suggest you do the Renault thermostat in the front top hose.

Andyb2000 has a how to on youtube with links for purchase, makes that job into a 10 minute one and much cheaper.

Been running that mod for over 6 months no hassle

The camshafts doesn't have pins so the blocking kit is essential.

Just doing the belt would run you something like 4 hours, closer to 10 when doing the waterpump too.

Would personally do both as a WP failure ruins everything.

Did mine 6k kilometers ago, not looking forward to next change at 300k kms

Hi gvcamper. what do you mean with "The camshafts doesn't have pins "?

if the oil cap is removed and the engine turned (by hand clockwise), through the oil filling hole, a hole in the camshaft can be seen, there is where the blocking pin goes. To block that one the alternator has to be removed, the other one is a bit tricky to get too but possible, karmannski make sure you find the right allen key, I had to weld a bolt on as I damaged it.

Hope it helps.