Coolant Recommendations

Josboogz

Question

8 answers to this question

40 quid is not a lot of investment for coolant which lasts 5 years (more in the real world), is guaranteed by a major motor manufacturer (FCA) and produced by a trusted source (Petronas)

My Dad always told me that if you buy cheap then you pay twice, in order to rectify the situation when the cheap piece fails, assuming of course that the budget piece hasn't done consequential damages

Oil and coolant/water are the 2 cheapest parts of your engine, but lack of either has the possibility to cause the most serious damage . . Do you really want to take the chance ???

My advice is to go with the proper, manufacturer approved fluid and top it up as you go along, with the same, rather than water

The Service plan for both Diesel and Petrol cars includes a 'Check Coolant level' check every 2 years or 21k.........but does not specifically state when it should be changed. 

The only time I have ever had a complete flush / change of my entire coolant supply on any car is if I've had a need to have the whole system drained down for an issue (new Rad / Thermostat etc.)

I do make sure though that the mix is correct every other year between coolant and water ready for winter - don't want anything freezing up!

The Service plan for both Diesel and Petrol cars includes a 'Check Coolant level' check every 2 years or 21k.........but does not specifically state when it should be changed.

The only time I have ever had a complete flush / change of my entire coolant supply on any car is if I've had a need to have the whole system drained down for an issue (new Rad / Thermostat etc.)

I do make sure though that the mix is correct every other year between coolant and water ready for winter - don't want anything freezing up!

The pink antifreeze is a 5 year lifespan

The blue antifreeze is a 2 year lifespan

Never the twain shall mix ! (Due to a chemical reaction)

I usually top up with what I have drained at the last timing belt/water pump change