2.8 Crd Grand Voyager Thermostat Housing

woodsy0810

Question

hi all ,,, i have my car in a local garage to replace the failed thermostat ,,,the mechanic said they have fitted the new one but the temp gauge in the car wont work as there was not a place to put the sensor ,,,,im no mechanic but surly this tells me he has brought the wrong thing  ,,,,when i questioned him he siad the one we need is 400 pound from chrysler only ,,,so he will drill a hole in the new part, thread it and put the sensor in ,,,,i have no idea but feel im being walked over due to my lack of knowledge on engines    any help would be great 

Hiya pal,

Check the other recent post on this very subject on here, sounds very similar to another regarding the sensor.

However, if you know anyone with a little mechanical ability you can get round it very easily, put a Renault 4 in the top hose, but check on here for more details and andyb2000 has done a video of his.

Edited by bignev

Hi

What model is you car ? Petrol or Diesel ?

Last Saturday I have replaced my own thermostat on 2.8 CRD and there was no sensors in it.

Looks like he bought the wrong one, went to Farr with the job, and decided to modify it.

I had tried the trick with the thermo with Renault 5, but after 400 miles if shut it self and did not let my water thrue with and temp went on the red line. So I throw it away and both proper thermostat.

Karmannsky...a CRD engine would be diesel and 2.8 at Chrysler is definitely a diesel

The coolant thermostat at 2.5 and 2.8 CRD models (might be on others too) is bellow the spark plugs in the middle of the engine block... The thermostat is mechanically energised by the water's temperature, no wires to it.

Go back to them with this information and tel them to find another job as they suck at replacing parts, not even taking about being mechanics...

Hope it helps.

Edited by mikebh8

Spoke to mechanic. Thermostat housing is below wiper motors at back of engine drivers side. He also said that he is going to drill and tap into the new thermostat so it can hose the sensor like the last one did. I'm baffled. I'm waiting on pictures from my wife as I'm 300 miles away from the garage

Karmannsky...a CRD engine would be diesel and 2.8 at Chrysler is definitely a diesel

I know that mate

I'm asking the author to tell us what engine he had in his GV

If it is at the back of the engi d under wipers , it is same as mine. But I had no sensors in the thermostat, just few pipes etc.

Paid £35 for the thermo but normally they go for about £80

It is not s nice job to do.

My apologizes Karmannski...I read through the title, the author did not specify his model.

Sorry Mike

I must missed that completely. The last job on my GV (thermo)killed my brain!

I would take that car away from this mechanic.

But if you will decide to leave it, make sure it has got proper Coplant in (not water) and is not leaking from the new thermostat. - you should be able to smell it, or observ coolant level.

This thermo looks ok for that car.

Same as mine.

Good luck

I hate and don't trust mechanics!!!!

post-1856-0-06250000-1500465611_thumb.jpg

That is the thermostat he has got. (Your picture ). But he said the cable and sensor from the temp gauge in car does not mount on that one. The one I have posted has a hole threaded for the sensor. The shine you part on my picture

The hole is for a 90 degrees connector that is hooked to a hose which goes into the expansion tank...still no wires to it.

I know this is 2 years old, but for any others who get sucked in reading it and deciding to have a go at replacement of the thermostat, if you have a late 06 onwards CRD you probably have a thermostat with a wired temp sensor to it, per the original poster with a mechanic who tried to fit the earlier mid-06-and-previous thermostat, which doesn't feature the temp sensor there and so there is no trapping for it. I suspect that the same change coincides with the air inlet manifold changing too. That means that on the late 06 onwards, the inlet hosing does not remove easily per the 'Auto Shaman' YouTube vid. For me (yes, late 06 CRD) that means access to change the thermostat is almost non existent, and since I have the wrong stat anyway without the tapping, that means I've had to give up for now!

I also have tried the inline stat trick and found it stopped working after a couple of hundred miles, probably as it's too remote from hot coolant flow from the engine until almost too late. 

Now then @@fbson - by the way I don't have a diesel - are you aware that the wiper scuttle comes off, without a lot of effort, for access to the back of the engine - certainly makes the 3.3 V6 WAY easier to get at. Rear plugs, power steering and water pumps.

But am I right that @@andyb2000 said even with the wiper scuttle assembly removed it's still a bugger of a job, or was that yet some other component?

Hello there. Yes, I did indeed have the wiper module off. The thermostat was still just about impossible to get at with the intake pipe in the way. What I didn't proceed to do, as I had at that point spotted I had the wrong replacement thermostat, was to have a look from underneath to see if the intake pipe could be accessed for removal from the turbo: anyone know? Luckily I hadn't drained coolant, so not too much time spent! Thanks.

I did also have a 1.5mm hole drilled in my temporary thermostat - and I know people have it working for them but it didn't for me. I did consider drilling lots of holes to see if it still overheated (or underheated) like that but thought I'd give the proper stat a go.

I did also have a 1.5mm hole drilled in my temporary thermostat - and I know people have it working for them but it didn't for me. I did consider drilling lots of holes to see if it still overheated (or underheated) like that but thought I'd give the proper stat a go.

pellet inserted arse-about-face ? easy mistake,many do it !

I used this exact part

They change the therm to comply with euro regs mid 2007. Post then its a sensore'd one. The reg number will throw a part that is wrong..you need the vin

The thermostat is not made anymore. I sourced mine from a guy that imports from USA..he gets maybe 2 per week theyre that hard to find. It was 100 quid plus 30 for the sensor that is sold separately..buy it..unless you can reliably check the sensor is crap..even then for 30 quid its worth doing as the therm install is a pig.

If you use without you need to re-map.

Mine..because of the sensor, was stuck 2/3rds shut...not open as default on those without.

I changed everything, rad, egr valve, egr solenoid etc, [ btw...between engine and firewall theres a lead thats part of the egr system..mine was disconnected..you wouldnt know as you cant see it at all] shocks, rear shock bushes, belts, oil hubs etc etc etc. The front of the vehicle has to come off so did everything.

Im lucky in that my garage lets me bring my parts..which I source USA, I paid 800 quid labour only plus liquids