Voyager 3,3L Tuning

Hugo

Question

I got a 02 voyager 3,3l producing 174 hp. It feels slower than lll gen grand voyager with 158 hp, and uses more fuel. Does it exist any good tuningparts/ chip for the 3,3l that will help. The main reason i guess, why it feels slower and uses more fuel, is because chrysler squeesed the new power out higher in the rew range. I want more low end torque. What to do? I don't want to change engine to the 3,8l and use even more fuel

2 answers to this question

Over the years I learned that no matter the car's age, if the engine is well looked after the power is the same as new. In your case could be piston rings, loss of compression, spark plugs (petrol only) blocked passages, etc.

However, if the car has a turbo fitted, the tuning chip makes a difference otherwise don't bother.

Tuning the engine...where can you stop?

From ratio modified camshafts, performance clutch, bigger alternator to bigger fuel lines with bigger fuel pump and modified exhaust system.

An example is the clutch and flywheel, it gives you about 10-15 BHP more but it takes away the normal driving, every time you will start from first gear you will feel like someone bumped into the back of the car, plus less performance on towing(if you do) and more weariness.

The camshafts will bring more compression and higher temperature in the combustion(burning) chamber so you need more fuel( that means bigger pump and fuel lines) soon the gasket will wear, unless that is replaced too, and/or the head will fail.

For some power is enough a good maintenance on it.

My opinion.

Hope it helps.

Always been amazed at the little amount of power they managed to squeeze out of such a big block but having driven it for 2 years I'd say any more power would be quite dangerous, without major improvements on suspension and handling. they just don't handle well enough for any more power.

My opinion is it's just best to sit back relax and enjoy the journey :-)