3.3L Oil Filter

CafeRacer

Hi guys.

Can anyone give me a part code for the correct engine oil filter for my V6 petrol Voyager please?

Apparently it should contain an 'antidrain valve' to hold the oil back, when the engine is not running, so as to protect the valve train when cold starting.

I have a 'split second' heavy rattle from the valve train when starting the engine, cold or warn.

It currently has a Framm PS-16 fitted.

Thanks for your time

Hi there,

I've not come across anything like that in all the (many) times I have done oil and filter changes, on the three that I've had. All 3.3 petrols.

The several different makes of filter have all been the same usual design, nothing special.

Is the rattle new? I presume you don't give it any throttle when starting so it is at idle speed?

Hi big Nev

Thanks for your reply.

It's not something I would normally look for in a canister filter but if you look into the specifications of a bit deeper these 'non return valves / anti drain valves do appear. In fact the one fitted currently has one in it, supposedly.

The noise is apparent only when cold starting or when the engine is very hot, but goes away almost instantly (cam followers?) when the engine is started.

I bought the Voyager recently with the engine running - silly me.

Ah ok, could it be a delay in the valve clearances being taken up with oil pressure? A mate of mine has a 3.2 V6 Omega that does that quite loudly, sounds awful for about 30 seconds from cold then sweet as you like there after.

I have a small rattle (not big like yours) which all I can finally come up with is the cam chain. It's silent on start up, gets a noise, goes silent, then after probably 10 seconds settles into a light rattle, which goes away if you raise the revs very slightly.

Have you done an flush oil change? Either with flushing additive to the old oil or as I do using actual "flushing oil"? It might help clear any muck delaying the filling of the valves.

However - it may also do more harm than good depending on how well the oil changes have been treated in the past. If it's really mucky don't use it first time, just do a good oil change (or 2).

Hi again.

I just gave it an oil and filter change in the hope that the PH-16 would fix the knocking via its internal non return valve.

I think you may be right about it possibly being a delay in the valve clearances being taken up by the oil pressure. That would explain the need for having an oil filter with an anti-drain valve fitted ?

I will continue to seek out this magic filter and if it turns up I will let you know...

Found one!

Won't fit my car but proves these 'special' filters are out there......

Part HP-2004 Product Specifications

Colour: White

Anti Drain Back Valve: Yes.

Bypass Valve: Yes

Filter Material: High Flow Premium Media

Gasket Material: Nitrile Rubber

Height: 4 in (102 mm)

Outside Diameter: 3.656 in (93 mm)

PSI Relief Valve: 8-11

Removal Nut: Yes

Style: Canister

Thread Specification: 3/4 In. - 16 UNF-2B