Anti Roll Bar Bush Replacement

andyb2000

Question

Hi folks,

So I've just changed the Anti-Roll bar links as the front driver one had started knocking so thought I'd do the pair, at the same time I also got Anti Roll bar bushes as thought I'd replace those and see if it got rid of the creaking I get from the driver side.

However getting under and one side is fine to get at (Driver side) as can see the nut and bolt clearly, the passenger side is a different story because of the webasto aux-heater getting in the way, so I can't get to the bolt side of it at all no matter what I tried.

I'm going to try again in a few days so any suggestions, if I need to move the webasto how easy/difficult is it to move out of the way temporarily without disconnecting all the water and fuel lines to it which I'd like to avoid (because I'm lazy!)

Thanks in advance folks.

15 answers to this question

Hi,

Unfortunately they sound slightly different or at least accessing them slightly differently.

After removing the drop-links, you're left with the main sway bar, then to remove the main roll bar bushes you need to undo two bolt/nut combinations which are about a quarter way in on the sway bar. The driver side one is OK to get to, but the passenger side one is hidden by the aux heater, so my suspicion is I need to remove/move the aux heater to get access to the bolt head itself.

Wished I'd taken photos the other day when I was going to do it, will try and grab a couple.

Just a couple of photos that might help illustrate (It's pouring with rain here so not easy to get under to fully show the problem!)

You can see the anti roll bar bush in the photos:

post-612-0-66650000-1498657456_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-94775000-1498657459_thumb.jpg

The bolt is at the base, and unfortunately it looks like it's a standard nut and bolt (Rather than a captive nut or bolt so you need to get to both ends). At the rear of that bulkhead that the bolt goes through is the webasto aux heater so can't easily get to it to hold with a socket.

Thanks guys, I might have been over thinking it then, as was just crawled under and putting 2+2 together and making 5!

Will get it back on the stands and have a proper look if the rain ever stops and give it a go, thanks for the replies.

How did it go ? I need to do mine too

hey, I have just done them today. 

started at 7.30pm - 11pm  :angry:  both sides.  (In the rain!!!) 

Not hard at all but I recomend to apply plenty of WD40 day b4 job, Thouse nuts dont want to turn easy. 

With new bushes no more nocking noises.. 

Ther is a video on YT that shows how to do it, but once you will lift it and have a look you will know what to do. 

2x15mm wrench , spaner, 

Cooper grease

WD40

2x stands

I have rounded one bolt but luckaly I had IRWIN nuts with me :D

Smal 90degresse Impact wrench would be very helpfull. 

Thanks for the update karmannski, you must have been committed to do it in the rain!

So did the AUX Webasto heater get in the way for the passenger side on yours or did you manage to get at the nut/bolt at both sides to do it as that was the stopping part for me getting mine done when I had a brief look a few weeks ago?

Hi Andy

There was no websto blocking the acces to it.

I had to hold bolt with a spanner/wrench and turn the nut from the other side.

I strongly recommend to apply plenty of wd40 few hrs before you start other wise you may round the nut/bolt.

With good quality tools anyone should be able to do it. But had to end up using Irwin nut.

Once I took the bolts off and put cooler grease on it it went on nicely with new bushes.

And no more annoying nocks!!!

Good lucks

Great thread. This is a job I desperately need to do - all my bushes are badly corroded/degraded. I intend to replace the anti roll bar bushes AND the links.

One question: do I need to somehow take pressure off, before undoing the bolts (ie by jacking the car up? I worry about undoing something I can't put back!

Edited by Shandy123