Noisy Clutch When Pedal Is Pressed

Smileyguy

Question

Good afternoon,  I have a 08 Voyager exec 2.4 petrol converted to LPG about 6 months ago  It's fantastic.

BUT, 3 weeks ago this happened.  When I fully depress my clutch pedal, there is a really bad grinding noise and a vibration like trying to force the car into gear.  (This is without moving the gear leverout of neutral.)  I was advised to have the clutch replaced, which I did, but the fault is still there.  I was also told that as the clutch is a complete sealed unit, it wasn't a problem with fluid levels.  I have noticed that if I press the clutch 3/4 down then there is no noise and it goes into gear perfectly.

Thereis no loss of power or indication of the clutch slipping.

Any ideas out there???

Thanks

7 answers to this question

Hi, when you say you had the clutch replaced, was this done by a mechanic or yourself?

Have you had the bearing done too?( you probably did, but just to rule that out)

I'm asking as if was done by a professional, he/she would have noticed the following.

Sounds like the flywheel, one of the the clutch's cylinders or both( master,slave) or even the whole clutch system from master to slave is faulty.

P.S. if it goes in and out of the gears from 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th and so on, it is not the clutch. If you still have the old clutch keep it for future use.

Hiya,  The work was done by a garage and he replaced the complete clutch as he said it came as a sealed unit. Even the fluid pipe just clicked together so he couldn't top up the clutch fluid.  He did show me the old part and it is riveted together.  

I can go through all my gears with no problem if I press the clutch about 3/4 down, but if I press the clutch down completely, it sounds really bad, like it's not engaging properly and I can feel the pedal " bounce" like it's trying to engage with the gear teeth?? 

...if the garage guy stated that the clutch is a "sealed unit"..I would take it to a second inspection if I were you.

The clutch can be seen and touched through the hole where the slave cylinder goes in the gearbox.

Fluid cannot be added to the system but if it does not work properly can be noticed by: pedal pushed to the floor and a second person would have to see if by hand the bearing is going further(the slave or master usually show signs of worn if damaged).

I would check the flywheel as although the clear symptom would be high revs and slow car movement, rarely can cause the opposite effect, when clutch pushed to the floor filling a knocking (vibration) in the foot like is trying to engage the gear.

The easiest one is the slave and master but I'm guessing is the flywheel.

Not an expert, hope it helps.

Edited by mikebh8

Hiya,  Thanks for your help so far.  I showed it to the mechanic and he said

The clutch has an external slave which is working with no leaks and it's clearing the clutch as I can select a gear without grinding (unless fully depressed)

When they first checked the end float on the crank, there was no clearance, but when the gearbox was changedthere was 20mm clearance.

They've suggested possibly a fault on the thrust washers on the camshaft,? 

Does this throw any light?

Hi, 20mm is way too much...the crank end float, depending on the manufacturer, needs around 0.3-0.5 mm( less than a mm just to clarify) and it shouldn't be noticeable with the naked eye, is used a gauge instead.

There is clearly a bigger fault than that, with so much play in the crankshaft I suggest you stop driving it before it brakes the crank or the block (if not already).

The oil sump pan needs to come off and inspected...

Sorry for that man, I hope I'm wrong, than again I am not an expert and I might be wrong.

Hope it helps.

I doubt very much it would even turn over with 20mm end float on the "crankshaft", it would be f#'ked out of it's brains, engine oil would pour through the gap into the bell housing to start with. Drowning the clutch.

But - as you typed end float then clearence and "camshaft", what did they say EXACTLY please?

If there is any difference before / after on the clearance of the gearbox shaft to crankshaft surely they haven't put something back together correctly.

And I will add I haven't ever done a clutch in a car on my own.