No Dvd Remote = No Screen?

fbson

Question

Hello. A new GV owner here with a minor problem. I think I read that the flip down screen on an 06 GV can't be made to come on in any way without the dvd remote. Do you agree? Has anyone had any luck with a universal remote in that case? I don't want to fork out loads for a second hand remote if it's not likely to work anyway.

It's an in dash 6 disc changer with an rb3 head unit, and sound plays fine from dvds. The screen is evidently an rs-200 model: anyone know who makes them?

Thanks, and fingers crossed!

15 answers to this question

Yes it is a pain - when I'm shouting at the kids "is it on then" cos I can't see the bugger but can hear it alright!!

Spotted a second hander on ebay a while ago and still wanted £40 I think!!

From the Mopar USA site a selection of part numbers could be 

5094043AB, 56043231AA, 5082013AA, 5094043AA

I'm not sure if the question was meant for me...but

Mine is factory fitted with chrysler logo and "mopar" brand on it, the screen is above the front seats, slitglhy towards the middle with 3 buttons it top on the screen frame, single dvd player with the sat nav above the automatic climate control and the dvd bellow.

I see, thanks to both of you. Mines a stow and go too and I suspect that's the difference ie as Bignev says the remote is needed to turn the screen on in that case. I've got an old remote on the way from the US to see if I have any luck with that. Course, if it doesn't work I'll blame the remote! I'll free report back in a couple of weeks. Thanks again. Edited by fbson

Just to report back. I've now got hold of a remote from the US via eBay and it did the trick. Took a while to arrive, but as soon as it did the kids and I all sat in the back for the unveiling, and it worked! In this case the remote PN is po5082013aa. Got another different type on the way from the US which was ordered in case. I'll let you know how that goes too.

Now for headphones!

To be fair the PN was one of those you'd quoted @@bignev, just missing the 'po' prefix so that would've found it. Just happened to be the world's cheapest on ebay for a little while, other than the Chinese new ones which I was advised by the sellers would not work.

The kids are keen, yes. Trouble is we need to find someone to drive us now...

Hi @@bignev

Yes you are indeed correct, the headphones are infra-red fed from the bar along the top of the DVD 'housing' so the angles are a big tight if you're in the middle two seats you sometimes get audio break-up in certain positions.

I've seen others have success with non-genuine infra-red headphones from other suppliers for different cars, etc, so that would suggest it's a common signal type, but I don't have any detail unfortunately.