Rear Brakes Overheating After Fitting New Discs And Pads

hundred

Question

Hi I have just fitted new discs, pads and shoes to my 2006 GV 2.8crd stow and Go but they are getting very hot after driving for 20 minutes. I have stripped them down a few times as I can't figure out what is causing it. All parts are new, even fitted new small parts kit to the shoes. The calipers are running freely and the posting have been lithium greased before depressing piston back in.

Any ideas what it could be as no garages in my area will touch Chrysler brakes as they are a pig to work on - which I tend to agree with.

Also can anyone advise where I can get a new front handbrake cable from without going to main dealer as they want to charge me daft money.

Any help greatly appreciated

10 answers to this question

Hi there,

I had this, and despite the same as you, the calipers looked fine and when I had it all apart seemed to be releasing properly, in the end I swapped the caliper out and it solved the problem. They seem to stick very slightly on a lip that holds them on enough to generate the heat but no noticeable binding that you'd find from a fully jammed caliper.

I'd say go for the replacement caliper as it sounds like you've checked and changed everything else apart from that. Have you narrowed it down to 1 wheel in particular? I'd be doing that first.

How easy is it to rebuild the caliper?

Can't afford £300+ for 2 new caliper

Hi there,

I had this, and despite the same as you, the calipers looked fine and when I had it all apart seemed to be releasing properly, in the end I swapped the caliper out and it solved the problem. They seem to stick very slightly on a lip that holds them on enough to generate the heat but no noticeable binding that you'd find from a fully jammed caliper.

I'd say go for the replacement caliper as it sounds like you've checked and changed everything else apart from that. Have you narrowed it down to 1 wheel in particular? I'd be doing that first.

I've not tried the rebuild kit so can't comment unfortunately.

In my case it was one rear so went for the £154.99 from Eurocarparts (Though through discount to get it cheaper at some point) and solved it. I know what you mean though, we wound them right the way in and from eye inspection they were retracting, just not fully, just that slight bit caused it, and in my case couldn't touch the alloys after a short journey they were getting that hot (And obviously not healthy for the new pads, parts, etc that sort of temperature)

It's sadly possibly that the calipers just didn't like being pushed back home that far, and the internal seal could be causing the mither as you say you lubed them up.

I got a seal (2)  / piston kit but I've not had time to do the job yet.

I swapped the caliper last time for speed as I didn't have much spare time at all, and this is I hope prevenatative.

Depends how handy you are but shouldn't be a nightmare to do, however have you checked ebay for calipers as I think I saw them for around £80?

Yep - just checked again and a pair can be had for £140 - the PAIR. from a seller called jeep-chrysler

Edited by bignev

Am pretty handy and am sure I could overhaul the existing caliper but going away tomorrow so just got a pair of reconditioned caliper from ECP, managed to haggle them down to £250 with £60 to be returned as surcharge.

Only got this motor as a cheap run around in stead of getting a new car on finance. Costs me a fortune in parts and at 18mpg it would have been cheaper to get the new car.

So new calipers fitted and still the overheating issue. What I have noticed is that I cannot get the wheels to run freely when up on the stands no matter what I do.

Beginning to lose patience now. I can't take it to any local garages as none of them will work on it