Egr Heat Exchanger

Rossocorsa

Question

Just had this fail on me, if you have a diesel is something to keep an eye on. Coolant leaking down onto undertray apparently a common fault on these engines the cover develops a hairline crack. I got my local reliable independent garage to change it 2 hours labour to do it. Shame they make it from plastic in the old days it would have been a nice alloy casting which would not only function better but would last forever Edited by Rossocorsa

22 answers to this question

Front right side as you stand in front of the car, close to the right hand bottom corner of the engine cover. You can see the radiator at the bottom of the photo. It's same side but at the opposite end​ to the actual EGR it has some sort of vacuum function as well apparently. Edited by Rossocorsa

Front right side as you stand in front of the car, close to the right hand bottom corner of the engine cover. You can see the radiator at the bottom of the photo. It's same side but at the opposite end​ to the actual EGR it has some sort of vacuum function as well apparently.

Mines in for a Cambelt, pulley and pump with a full service next month so I'll take a look beforehand and get it checked.

Hi Rosso,

I had the same problem on the 10th May! Coolant all over the undertray, steam, all on the hard shoulder of the M1. My techy came round, had a look under the bonnet, pulled the cover off and said: Get a new one! what is it? I didn't have a clue! then, Looking on Ebay.it I found a "Scambiatore di Calore", heat exchanger. They wanted 35eu for the part and 37 for the postage. I bought one at a Fiat dealer £73 but later found that it's available from Shop4Parts for £64!!! apparently its a common failure. My Delta still going strong 58000 mls, slight leak on the intercooler that needs addressing, needs front brake pads and 2 front tyres soon, must do it before my trip to Italy at the end of August. 

All the best

There must be a design flaw here  :( 

Mine went yesterday on the M6 fortunately the AA quickly arrived (first time I've had to use them since owning my Delta). 

Please can any of you confirm the part number and a reputable/reasonable supplier.  I'm guessing with Christmas holidays I'll be waiting till the new year to get my Delta back on the road now....

Cheers Nello much appreciated.

It does look a very close design to the vauxhall one (only visible difference is the mounting tab on top of the Vauxhall one. Has anyone tried this as an alternative as it's available for around half the price?

I think the Vauxhall one is the same but don't know for certain, the latest fiat one differs slightly from the original as well. Shop4parts sell it

Thanks guys - a quick google of the shop4parts alternative part number (K68228723AA)

returned an italian site with the following table..

ORIGINAL CORRESPONDENCES ALFA ROMEO 71772987 ALFA ROMEO K68228723AA FIAT 71772987 FIAT K68228723AA GENERAL MOTORS 55590953 LAUNCHES 71772987 LAUNCHES K68228723AA OPEL 055573044 OPEL 055590953 OPEL 0851008 OPEL 0851123 OPEL 55573044 OPEL 55590953 OPEL 851008 OPEL 851123

From this I think I'll take a punt on the vauxhall part which I found below @ £34 delivered

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INSIGNIA-GENUINE-EGR-COOLER-REPAIR-KIT-55590953-2-LITRE-DIESEL/122725664854?epid=1926298202&hash=item1c93050856:g:0agAAOSwLv5Zyk-q#rwid

will post back when it arrives and have found out if it fits....fingers crossed!

Is that because its the common GM unit? I know the 159 shared a GM engine or two. 

eper is an excellent reference for FCA products as it always lists products the item is shared in............................

I sourced my new rear silencer that way - Chrysler part was over £200 but I got a aftermarket box for a Bravo T-Jet for £35!

I was looking for a clutch master cylinder for my brother's 2009 Punto Grande, Fiat wanted €117+Vat for one

My pet motor factors wanted €78+Vat, but alerted me to the same part being listed for the Opel/Vauxhall Corsa

Got it for £21, delivered from flEabay :-D

Modern car manufacturing is an incestous place :-O

Edited by Andrewgrale

Is that because its the common GM unit? I know the 159 shared a GM engine or two. 

eper is an excellent reference for FCA products as it always lists products the item is shared in............................

I sourced my new rear silencer that way - Chrysler part was over £200 but I got a aftermarket box for a Bravo T-Jet for £35!

Interesting about the exhaust, I take it that the extra length of the Delta is all in the middle exhaust section then? Regarding the diesel engines they are almost but not quite identical, so most parts are at least similar but I think caution should be applied when trying to mix n match. AFAIK Opel engines are built in a different factory

For the benefit of anyone else who has the egr heat exchanger cover fail... I can confirm that the Vauxhall part 55590953 is identical and has been working a treat for the past couple of weeks with nearly 400 miles covered since it was fitted and absolutely no issues whatsoever.  Quite pleased it only cost me £30 delivered.

Edited by vausey

For the benefit of anyone else who has the egr heat exchanger cover fail... I can confirm that the Vauxhall part 55590953 is identical and has been working a treat for the past couple of weeks with nearly 400 miles covered since it was fitted and absolutely no issues whatsoever. Quite pleased it only cost me £30 delivered.

We learn from others experiences!

As it always is a great source of information :-D