Adapter For Stereo 2006 Crd Grand

karmannski

Question

18 answers to this question

Hi there!

Only a suggestion - don't do it - heading for major headache and heartache, they are a nightmare because of the amplifier and speaker system.

If you have the AV plugs on the front of the DVD player I would suggest a lead adapter to this.

I know some of our other guys will chip in now, and plenty of them are better than me on some of this stuff! They have more time and perseverance than I do nowadays. 

And here's the word of caution! There are several different versions (Infinity is just one option. In some cases infinity have the infinity label on the speaker grill, but I've also seen them without that label) and I've so far come across three different systems in total now in these, all in the same year/build (2004/2005).

I've not played with the 2006 one yet, but assuming similar (They did change a few things from 04/05 to 06) then the radio will be pumping out a digital signal on the 4 outputs (front left, right, rear left, rear right). That digital signal is then either fed to the amp or to the doors and then converted to analogue signal (sort of!) for the speakers to reproduce. This is the bit I need to investigate further, what does the digital to analogue conversion. My assumption is this is the amplifier on my model.

So in a nutshell, use what you have like the others say, if you already have aux inputs, use them (Though if it's on the DVD player you might find audio will only come out the rear speakers or infra-red headphones and not the front if it's the full split system installed).

Otherwise, like me, you've got a bit of work involved in finding out what you have and how to tap into it without very expensive modules to tap into the Chrysler can-bus system.

I'm planning on taking my rear interior quarter apart and finding the amp and doing a *very* detailed dig of what I can discover on my current model later in the year as I want to upgrade my head unit to an android all-singing/dancing unit and will need to do the legwork to make it work!

Edited by andyb2000

Ah good thinking @@bignev I'm gonna give the aux inputs a go, I was basing that on my last GV which did the above.

On the engine, all good and back on the road. It was a cracked flexplate in the end, so separated the autobox from the engine (bellhousing bolts, flexplate bolts removed from the starter motor hole when removed), got enough space to get the flexplate out and replaced. Cost from dealer was around £80 for the new flexplate.

I've been planning on doing a full write-up on steps and gotchas doing it when I get round to it! All up and running and happy again though, cheers for asking m8 :-)

I use Spotify a lot for my music (my iPhone) and I bought the AV adapter but as andyb2000 said I only get sound in the rear of the adapter is fully pushed in. I wiggled it out a bit though and sound does come in the front speakers to, but it's obviously very temperamental! Any suggestions on how I can make it a better connection please? Thank you! :-)