Grand Voyager Auto 3.3 Not Changing Gear

royboy

I have a 2002 Grand Voyager up until recently was working great, now the engine management light has come on and it seems to just be driving in third gear all the time, wont change up or down.

A mate plugged in diagnostic machine and said it was a sensor issue changed the sensor and it still will not move up and down the gears, any help would be really appreciated as I love this motor and dont want to change it.

Cheers

Royboy

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya Royboy,

Have you had any progress on this? I have had this fault on one of mine for some time, tried another transmission ecu, tested wiring between that and Power Control Module, new earth strap to gearbox, and a couple of other desperate things but no joy on mine.

The fault code I had initially was no communication TCM to PCM, then not actually giving faults now......

Hi, it has been discussed in few topics.

Is either the oil in the gearbox ( if is not too low that caused other damage) or in some cases the acceleration pedal but on that I don't know much about it.

Does it drive in reverse with decent speed and the "right" rpm? As would a normal car will.

Does it come out in neutral, I guess it does otherwise the diagnose software wouldn't make sense connecting it.

Hope it helps.

Edited by mikebh8

Mine drives (drove - before MOT expired)still fine but only in the "manually" selected 2nd gear or reverse, not short of power at all, super smooth, clean oil, no noises (petrol so you can hear it!) and all gear indicator squares are lit up, it basically doesn't know what gear it's in. So because it cant change gear the engine light comes on regarding the emmissions.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, probably not the same fault but:

A Honda accord was having the same symptoms and it was an earth strap from the gearbox. Solved with a 4.5mm multicore wire and two washer clamps.

The fault was no connection with TCM.

Not an expert, don't take it as granted.

Hope it helps.

• 2 months later...

I'm experiencing some problems with my 2.8 diesel car gearbox. After driving someway it suddenly starts to jump out of the gears, the engine light comes on and the speedometer either shoots backwards and forwards or stays completely stuck in 0. We then feel we have to travel at less than 30mph to correspond with the gear it feels to be in.

When the cars stationary and stick it on reverse it won't move unless full throttle is given. The car feels as though it can't move out of 1st gear. And when the car starts moving it's a bit like shaking. The same in reverse.

When I get the car going it's changing the gears smoothly. Till it's jumps out of the gear.

I have read the code and it's speed sensor faulty. I have ordered both, input and output sensors. But I don't think it's will fix the problem with the car sticking in to the reverse or first gear.