Chrysler Grand Voyager 2006 Power Door Mirror

Donkeybrown

Hi everyone and good evening.

This is my first post on the site but as my wife and I both own Chrysler vehicles I anticipate it will not be my last!

As a brief introduction let me say that I would class myself as a competent DIYer as far as vehicle maintenance is concerned. I enthusiastically investigate how things work by a process of dissection and observation but maybe lack a little when it comes to reassembly (perhaps need to brush up on the observation side or is it just my advanced years?).

Anyway to the problem at hand.

I have recently had issues with the power folding passenger side door mirror on my Grand Voyager 2006. At first the problem was intermittent with the mirror refusing to fold in when it was out and vice versa. Over the last few days the problem has become more persistent and so I decided to remove the assembly and carry out some checks.

After isolating the wires which control this function I analysed the voltage to ensure power was being applied to the motor. Sure enough the multimeter  confirmed 12 volt supply to each pole of the motor depending on the selected option (fold in or fold out).

I then disconnected the mirror and applied current direct from a 12 volt source, switching  the polarity of the motor wires to check that the mirror would fold in or out. Sure enough it worked!

So to summarise, I know that power is getting to the motor and that the voltage across the 2 wires to the motor goes from 0v to +12v then back to 0v on completion of the cycle. I know that direct power applied to the motor briefly will activate the mirror to fold in or out. What I don't know is why the blasted thing won't work when in situ.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what is causing the failure I would be very grateful to hear from them.

Apologies if the post seems a little verbose and for any lack of site etiquette but thank you in anticipation of any response.