The Same Old Story, Draining Battery,chrysler Grand Voyager 2006

tonydebs

Question

Hi, I have just joined this forum and would like solutions and advise on how to solve the same old story of the battery draining on my Chrysler grand voyager 2006 CRD Limited 2.8 Auto Diesel. I have just paid out on a new alternator and pulley as it was screeching and very hot and it has been starting okay for the last week.........until this morning! I used it last night for a 10 mile run with 6 adults and the aircon up high, with lights and radio on and this morning it is dead! I have looked at forums which suggest batteries with over 600 CCA and don`t want to part with a lot of cash if this does not solve the problem. Batteries suggested are also 086 or 096R but that does not mean a lot to me. Also looking at Optima red top battery which CCA = 815A but that is nearly £140.00! Any suggestions as I love my car but the wife is saying get rid!

Please help!

Cheers in advance,

Tony

15 answers to this question

HI  :)

I would get the battery properly checked first before replacing and the battery drain tested before spending any money. You can get ths done at any good auto electrical garage. The voyager is prone to battery drain faults often within the IOD circuit.

You will get conflicting reports and opinions on what is the best battery .. .. for myself any battery that targets 800CCA/80 [ish], and can, by way of cutting bits off the tray, be made to fit. A rock and a hard place is where you start with a 3 litre compression engine in a UK winter. So throw into the mix for consideration :

- lifestyle - frequent use - winter starts - duration [50 miles every other day] of recharge from the alternator - no intervention needed

- lifestyle - infrequent use - semi-permanent advanced microprocessor controlled battery charger use - such as the MXS 5.0 or LiDL equivalent - intervention needed

- target the flooded lead acid  commercial not retail battery sector - target a unit price of £100 [ish] or buy an Optima 'absorption Glass Mat' at around £150 (-)

Ignore most online dBase where you put your REG in and it tells you what type / physical size/ terminal / etc for your specific car. Its a load of round rolling things, miles away from optimum, they are useless at finding a big CCA capability battery that will fit, which is why everyone ends up with a wimp of an underpowered tiny thing that will fit under the bonnet but will never work in a Grand Voyager. Put simply with low mileage runs, infrequent use, high non-use leakage and high in-use [Ah the amount of available energy in the electrical circuit is directly proportional to the capacity of the battery] draw a microprocessor controlled battery charger will deliver the biggest CCA bang on any day of the year at -5°C at a hundred quid. Alternatively a solar charger will replace most of the 'at rest' draw consumed, but can never deliver the 'biggest CCA bang on any day of the year at -5°C'.

I dislike 'red tops', although the price has come down by 30% over the last 2 years, others speak well of them and they will fit~first~time assisted by the central position of the terminal post location.

http://www.taynagroup.co.uk/common/attributes/centreline-layout.jpg

I would put money on it being a faulty stereo amplifier, which is located in the right hand rear quarter panel. VArious other circuits run through this too, like the alarm system. I had this intermittent problem for about two years, until it was properly diagnosed by a good auto electrician, replaced, and never a flicker of a problem since.

A few have changed from the spiral red top to the blue top which is more resistant to the deep cycle. Many have fitted the lead acid battery which also recovers well from being flattened, which the red top does not. The front of the battery tray can be cut off to allow the longer battery.

A good start would be to have the amp draw checked and the see if the inner of the alternator pulley turns one way only, obviously engine off!

I would put money on it being a faulty stereo amplifier, which is located in the right hand rear quarter panel. VArious other circuits run through this too, like the alarm system. I had this intermittent problem for about two years, until it was properly diagnosed by a good auto electrician, replaced, and never a flicker of a problem since.

This is exactly what mine was :-)

My battery is an excide http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Chrysler_Grand+Voyager_2.8_2007/p/car-parts/electrical/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/car-battery/?444776010&1&60477278467ff9a4d410d6fa4710efce00bc334b&000020says it is 50Ah on it and 450Wh is this a good battery for the car with electric doors and boot and DVD? It doesn't do many long journeys

I replaced mine earlier in the year and decided to go for a 74Ah 690CCA (096R Enduroline) which gives it a bit more kick at initial cranking, and so far haven't had any dash sweep. I do a mixture of journeys, typical weekday is a 20 min trip to and from work, but as the weather is nicer no heavy draw on electrics.

So Liam89 it's not huge *but* it's a spiral which is well suited to these vehicles, providing it's condition is OK you should be fine.

My battery is an excide http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Chrysler_Grand+Voyager_2.8_2007/p/car-parts/electrical/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/car-battery/?444776010&1&60477278467ff9a4d410d6fa4710efce00bc334b&000020says it is 50Ah on it and 450Wh is this a good battery for the car with electric doors and boot and DVD? It doesn't do many long journeys

Liam89,  its similar to a 'red top' in construction and performance terms - so should do its job. The CCA counts for starting in the winter and its a 900CCA. The buttonMOD works well and is a godsend to these high demand winter vehicles especially with short run high CCA batterys.

Hi  I have just joined and have a similar problem with our 2008 300c estate.    Battery drained twice within two weeks, replaced it and the new one darined within the week.  No indication of slugish starting.  In the garage now and they are unable to locate the problem but have confirmed that there is a drain on the battery. This occured last thursday morning, the car alarm went off for no reason, swiched it off then went to start the car to find that the battery was flat. Recharged the battery and drove to the garage for them to resolve the problem.  It's still there.   Any advice would be most grateful.

Regards Dave

Read here:

have confirmed that there is a drain on the battery

On parasympathetic loss

The Ignition Off Draw should not exceed twenty-five milliamperes (0.025 ampere) your garage have confirmed the loss, what loss in milliamperes ?

​Do you have an aftermarket radio fitted ?

Is [i don't have a 300] driven daily ? see/answer my lifestyle [frequency of use] question in the above link !

Battery CCA replaced with which Battery CCA

[i'm assuming 3.0 CRD, not the 5.7-litre V8.

Best of luck.