Front Handbrake Cable Problem...

Clint221

Question

Hi, I am having problems sourcing the front handbrake cable which attaches to the handbrake lever itself. I ordered on via the main dealer but it is way too short and they say it's the one listed for the car.

Anyone know where I would get one or have a similar problem?

Thanks.

24 answers to this question

The real question on Voyager DIH brakes is why a new cable, its almost never ever cable unless the cable is literally snapped and I've never known one snap they use a huge internal clock spring to provide and mitigate tension which is why if applied by a big man with two hands on it you can not over tension.

I bought the car with the cable already removed, not sure of the reason tbh.... The cable I got through the main dealer with the cars chassis number is too short to reach where it has to go, I've reordered another one in case this was one was sent in error.

Is there a central cable between the first cable and both rears?

Edited by Clint221

There's a front cable from Handbrake to fulcrum. Short cable from fulcrum to right side, connected to another cable to rear drum. From fulcrum there's only one cable to left side drum.

Brake cable RH ADA104609 Blue print 108 83 0100

Brake cable LH ADA 104608 Blue print 108 83 0090

Intermediate cable Quinton Hazel BC3631 (4683 496AB)

ditto                Motorworld       EAN 5016593853980

LH Cable     1692mm FKB 3178

RH Cable     1291mm FKB 3507

Intermediate 1381mm FKB2469

Edited by gordy

I've made dozens of posts on this:

"Put you REG in here"

Hardly ever works correctly. You were born with a VIN number anyone can trace the exact precise build to them minute. REG numbers can be and are changed in any country in the world, if they used the REG to interrogate the VIN that would do but that takes time and they could have asked for the VIN in the 1st place.

Most useless Voyager dBase's don't even know about stow 'n go and many don't recognise pre-2008, in my view these 'hands off, no humans' dBASE are pretty inaccurate and put you at risk as Nev says!

Would anyone have access to a diagram or photograph showing where the clockspring clutch actual spring attaches in the handbrake mechanism.. the hooked end of the spring isn't attached anywhere at the moment.

My original posts on'clockspring' authored by Leedsman and the 'top hat' drum and parking brake by myself are on here somewhere - I'll find them and repost them here .... later today.

Handbrick - read this of many threads, other threads here.

Clockspring pics see below.

Chrysler Workshop Manuals for expert repair & diagrams are here - Take your pick, you will need the RG for a CRD here.

http://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/attachments/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/509d1402662039-my-struggles-gv-handbrake-mot-handbrake-003.jpg

http://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/attachments/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/508d1402661929-my-struggles-gv-handbrake-mot-handbrake-001.jpg

Got the same issue with my cables as well, the cable is still there though although there's no barrel to attach it back to the fulcrum. I assume that it was broken off because the rear shoes were non existent and the moving price of metal that moved the shoes is completely seized at the minute. I have noticed that on the pictures above that there's some kind of tensioner before it disappears into the floor. Not got one of them and looks like here never had been. I hope the people that signed off the design of the shoes got sacked. Both sides are one big lump of rusty parts. Looks like it hasn't been serviced since it left the factory.

Handbrick - read this of many threads, other threads here.

Clockspring pics see below.

Chrysler Workshop Manuals for expert repair & diagrams are here - Take your pick, you will need the RG for a CRD here.

http://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/attachments/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/509d1402662039-my-struggles-gv-handbrake-mot-handbrake-003.jpg

http://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/attachments/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/508d1402661929-my-struggles-gv-handbrake-mot-handbrake-001.jpg

Hi, it finally came the time to work on my handbrake..in the picture with the cable adjuster, is that a standard fitted, mine doesn't have one?

Thank you.

It is 2004 2.5 crd manual.

I tried the sequence to recalibrate the clutch with no luck, it seems even worse.

But the adjuster in the picture I like, where the hamdbrake cable with the two that go to the wheels is there any bolts nuts that can be tighten (I didn't have time today as I had to go to work) but tonight or tomorrow morning I'll have a look.

Thank you.

By 6 hard yanks I mean hard very hard. There's is no adjustment just pulling the clutch, the footbrake keeps the tension on while the cables are realigned. The handbrick is an absolute pig to get right, one forum member did a 'blue peter' repair where he mounted an 8" scaffee pole over the end of the handbrake handle to get the required pull.