2007 2.8 Crd Big Problems!

wherry

Question

Hi.

Our 2.8 CRD has some issues - not sure if these are linked:

firstly it's had problems starting - repeatedly turning it over and it doesn't seem to fire, this started a year ago and happened randomly, now it happens every day- it could start fine then afew hours later it won't start. It's so bad now that the battery regularly gets depleted.

The other more serious problem started when we were driving back from Devon and had been stuck in traffic on a hot day, when the traffic cleared I pulled off and at about 30mph the whole engine cut out along with all power steering and power brakes. I pulled over and called my breakdown people. 10 minutes later I tried the engine and it stared and drove fine for a few weeks.

We then went to France last summer, got stuck in traffic and again, when we pulled off the same thing happened- total loss of power but then the car started and drove fine for 500 miles.

When I got to the south of France we put the car into a RAC approved garage, who said the diagnostics said we needed a new EGR valve. €800 later the next day, the car had problems starting again and on the way down to spain, at 80 mph we had the same loss of power.

I checked this forum and found posts suggesting the rear fuel heater or its leads could be at fault, so we had those changed at a garage. On our drive back home we had about 3 more losses of power..

Since the summer we've had no more power losses, but as mentioned at the start of this post, it's now not starting at all well- it turns over but doesn't fire.

I called our local Chrysler dealer, who denied all knowledge of the loss of power being a known problem with voyagers.

So we really don't know what to do at this point?

In the summer I got these codes from doing the key dance:

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions for what we should ask a garage to look into.

Edited by wherry

8 answers to this question

P1685-SKIM SYSTEM INVALID SECRET KEY IN EEPROM
When Monitored: With the ignition on.
Set Condition: The ECM detects an internal mismatch of the secret key code when
performing an internal EEPROM check.

P0403 - EGR CONTROL CIRCUIT
When Monitored: Engine running. Battery voltage greater than 10 volts.
Set Condition: The EGR solenoid control circuit is not in the expected state when
requested to operate by the PCM. One Trip Fault.

Interesting one this and hopefully find an interesting answer. Doesn't start sometimes, other times it starts ok and then performs its function. Maybe the RAC approved garage found an answer but it wasn't the actual EGR valve, does this EGR have wires to it and electronics. Is this a wiring fault problem. Doesn't sound like Fuel related as of air in fuel but maybe has more than one fault. Was thinking of a sensor fault where crank sensor would shut engine down and not leave fault code but it runs ok at times for many miles. Then there's the Boost/temp sensor, shut down yes, leave code, well sometimes. If it goes into limp mode on booting it code P0235 or likes is left. But noticed on mine when boost sensor totally lost it and shut down happened there was no code, as like crank sensor.

But that EGR system needs checked and wiring verified.

Interesting one this and hopefully find an interesting answer. Doesn't start sometimes, other times it starts ok and then performs its function. Maybe the RAC approved garage found an answer but it wasn't the actual EGR valve, does this EGR have wires to it and electronics. Is this a wiring fault problem. Doesn't sound like Fuel related as of air in fuel but maybe has more than one fault. Was thinking of a sensor fault where crank sensor would shut engine down and not leave fault code but it runs ok at times for many miles. Then there's the Boost/temp sensor, shut down yes, leave code, well sometimes. If it goes into limp mode on booting it code P0235 or likes is left. But noticed on mine when boost sensor totally lost it and shut down happened there was no code, as like crank sensor.

But that EGR system needs checked and wiring verified.

Greenflag came today as the battery was flat from trying to start it yesterday - he put some quick start in and it started fine, I've now taken it to AP Diesels to see if they can find out whats wrong. Will let you know.

Thanks

Hi

I had a problem with my car not starting also total loss of power under acceleration after a few weeks I put the car in for service they found the fuel fllter housing had a crack and was leaking fuel under load the reason why it was bad starting was the fuel filter housing needed to fill up before the fuel pump could get the fuel to the engine changed the housing £20 on eBay sorted the problem

Hope this helps

Ron