Engine Management Light

hotrod1958

Question

My engine management light comes on with ignition then goes off as it should do but if I do the key dance I have four fault codes but no engine management light on when I bought car the speedo and rev counter wouldn't illuminate removed clocks all bulbs missing can't understand why you would remove all the bulbs unless the clocks I have fitted are the wrong ones any help much appreciated

7 answers to this question

Hi there,

It's normal for codes to be generated but not enough to cause the engine management light on (thankfully, or we'd all be driving round with the thing on!), so unless you have problems, I'd not worry too much about the stored codes. Sure look them up for reference but don't worry too much.

On the speedo and rev counter illumination, this is an oddity, which I also had. The lighting is actually done via el-wire (Electro-luminescent) and all those missing bulbs and holders are CORRECT and shouldn't be populated. Look towards the top at the back of the speed assembly and you'll see a plastic block sticking out, this is the power supply for the el-wire, check the connector there is plugged in, if not plug it in and see if it works.

Here are the photos when I did mine, which sounds the same as yours, look for the connector you can see in the second photo.

post-612-0-35937500-1487768643_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-95312500-1487768645_thumb.jpg

Hi there,

It's normal for codes to be generated but not enough to cause the engine management light on (thankfully, or we'd all be driving round with the thing on!), so unless you have problems, I'd not worry too much about the stored codes. Sure look them up for reference but don't worry too much.

On the speedo and rev counter illumination, this is an oddity, which I also had. The lighting is actually done via el-wire (Electro-luminescent) and all those missing bulbs and holders are CORRECT and shouldn't be populated. Look towards the top at the back of the speed assembly and you'll see a plastic block sticking out, this is the power supply for the el-wire, check the connector there is plugged in, if not plug it in and see if it works.

Here are the photos when I did mine, which sounds the same as yours, look for the connector you can see in the second photo.

http://cdn.chryslerforum.co.uk/public/style_images/defraction/attachicon.gifIMAG0625.jpg

http://cdn.chryslerforum.co.uk/public/style_images/defraction/attachicon.gifIMAG0628.jpg

thanks for the reply is it true car wont rev over 2000 rpm in park and neutral as the problem I have is car revs fluctuate in drive I have fault code po100 which is mass air flow meter so ive bought one but not fitted it yet

just found out today that previous recorded keeper scrapped the car in sept 2016 for £200 as it failed its mot he said car ran fine now I have it revs fluctuate in drive ok in all other gears need to get an interface lead to read codes as my obd2 reader wont read them

Very few full diagnostic scanners will read all codes well. A diagnostic scanner will cost north of £1500, you'd be better sticking to the key-dance and keeping your money for things that might be of use to you my friend.