Trip Computer

blackvelvet

Question

17 answers to this question

Yeah it's a lying toad,

Like the one on my old 2007 Galaxy that said 52mpg...... 420 miles on 45.5 litres - 10 gallons - = 42mpg.

Not too far out hey!!!!!!!!!

My "new" also 2007 Galaxy Ghia is much more accurate, only reckons 46 instead of 41. 

At least the one on my 3.3 petrol doesn't care that it's pooe, it just tells you it's only 16 round town. Which is sadly right. But it's on gas.

Anyway other than that, check you have a clean air filter, treat it to some form of injector cleaner, a fuel filter, and if it's not had one recently treat it to some fresh engine oil instead of the black syrup it will be trying to run round in.

Check tyre pressures - they are heavy cars and this makes a ig difference.

And put it in neutral and try pushing it to check the brakes aren't binding a little.

Get on a 10/20/30 mile long 50MPH road with no roundabouts. Reset the trip and get the real time readout @ 50MPH. Turn around and do the same reset, same distance @ 70MPH what do you get. MY 2.8 gets 33.9 average up hill down dale in the summer and 2 MPG less in the winter. Everyone will lose a couple of MPG in the cold weather - its normal. Just keeping a 2.8 engine running in ASDA car park or a traffic jam for 10 minutes on tickover will sink your average [ing] MPG. If you only do town work and school runs then 22MPG would be about right.

[Edit] You can :

Mini-Trip Computer

• Average Fuel Economy (ECO AVG) Shows the average fuel economy since the last reset.
• Distance To Empty (DTE) Shows the estimated distance that can be travelled with the fuel remaining in the tank. This estimated distance is determined using the MPG for the last few minutes.
• Trip Odometer (ODO) Shows the distance travelled since the last reset.
• Elapsed Time (ET) Shows the accumulated ignition ON time since the last reset.
• Off Mode Shows a blank display.

You should also have [year dependant] :

• US/M Button Press this button to convert the display from U.S. to metric.

Best of luck.

Edited by QinteQ

Hi

QuinteQ

Thats what we did to get the correct mileage. We averaged 22MPG. The tank was filled and the trip gauge zeroed, and the trip meter zeroed.

Drove the car really carefully. I expected the reading to be incorrect, but the amout staggered me.

I also live in Wales at halfway up a mountain so realistically we have to expect low MPG, but the gauge read 35 MPG.

I think my complaint is the trip computer is so wrong, not the MPG I get.

Look the UK + UK foot is the same @ 5,280 international feet. The only difference can be rotational tyre size, binding brakes etc or you do have a-n-other problem. If your mileage readout is wrong it will be the first ever such finding I've ever heard of though I suppose there's always a first time for everything.

Quintq

Very interesting comment, can I take it that nobody else has the same problem.

I dont doubt for a moment that something may be at fault to cause such abysmal mileage.

Why would the trip computer read 35 MPG when a road test with a full tank shows the correct mileage is only 22 MPG?

Is this a rare fault and can anyone tell me how the computer can get it so wrong? As far as I can tell everything else on the computer appears to be correct.

No idea M8, as I said it's a 1st for me. I've got a full scanner and can't ever REM seeing any way anyone even with a powerful diagnostic can change this area of coding. I can certainly see why returning up just 1 big hill will knock hell out of an average but the puter should always be about right - not that far out.

Filled the tank Sunday, drove like a tw#t, stopped started often while the old ball and chain did her running.

Filled it monday 24 MPG. gauge was still way off the mark, but I got 2 MPG more while not being very light footed.

There must be a moral.

Phoned a main dealer, they never heard of such a problem.

I do mainly town driving / school runs & i average about 23 mpg which is what my comp says.

Mate of mine has a disco & he does a spread sheet on his fuel consumption & how much per litre it is ay various filling stations & enjoys telling me how he averaged 34.7782 mpg on a run from some place to another. I just tell him lifes too short & how when i see the fuel gauge is low i put some in & drive it.

Its a 2 1/2 ton - 3 litre mota, the most expensive cost is your right foot. Town work is always gonna be ± 25. Out of town I'm light of foot and live in 'cruise' mode which will save me 1,000RPM in any gear @ any speed. The 41TE has a permanently running software adjustment that will recognise and give you what you want, heavy clog drivers gets lotsa REV's light footers better mileage lower RPM.

My main consideration was the trip computer readout. It reads 35 MPG and in reality I was getting 22MPG,

I have 2 Cadillacs one at 7.5 litre and one at 8 litre.

Driving with a light foot is obligatory for me and my wife.

I dont think 22 MPG is bad if you consider I live in the Welsh mountains, and most of the local roads are narrow.

I just don't understand the trip computer readout.