Dvd Headphones

Martyn1978

Question

I've recently purchased my first voyager(2005) se plus with flip down DVD.

There was no head phones in car when got car and have recently purchased a pair of infared headphones of Amazon which were recommended, but I can't seem to get sound through them(and yes I've put batteries in them:-)

Any advise please, thanks.

10 answers to this question

Hi Martyn - sorry about that :( I personally haven't used the infared headphones before, so can't help out I'm afraid.

I'm sure we can work out some troubleshooting though - which exact phones did you buy? Did they also come with a transmitter that you could test with something else?

I was informed they were infared head phones required for the voyager. After looking on amazon I found some cheap ones(no make) just to try out which someone had bought and reviewed they worked fine with the voyager.

It is a factory fitted unit in car but there was no instructions with docs I got with car.

Which ones would you suggest??

I had searched car and I cannot find any headphone jacks either.

I've got four kids and a drive from the north East England to paris in August and don't think I can hack listening to the bloody smurfs and frozen all the way there through the speakers.

Do you know if you have the RB1 unit? Do you have the remote control for it?

There should be a headphone button on it - press this and confirm it shows up on the display, then see if you get sound from the headphones :)

Also - Chrysler did have 2 units around at that time, one which used RF.

You can confirm you need the IR unit by looking for the IR sender. I'm guessing it would be up in the roof. If you can see it, check a signal is actually being sent out. You can do this using a digital camera or perhaps even your phone camera (assuming they don't have an IR filter built in)

REK - this is the one that should be in all Euro GV's from 05 onward, and is the one in my car.

I always [they have done this before] suspected that some jiggery-pokery has been done by Chrysler, different country's laws permit and outlaw different capabilities not the least of which is our wonderful European Union. The scanner reads mine as an REK, not an RBK, and sure enough although it has no markings on the front it does have the 7th extra button but does not have the REK logo printed [top LHS in this pic] anywhere on the head unit. I make the assumption that the 'E' stands for the Euro-spec and that the REK joins the RBQ, RB4, RAH and REV as [hardware] unable to play MP3's because of the separate 6 disk changer unit logic and wiring. Notably this was the year that all settings, both factory and customer preference were written to the EEPROM and even the identify model/part number for repair exchange order processing could be done without having to remove the radio and the world car market was moving away from 6/10 disk changers to navigation systems in high end cars. The REK's were in addition to Chrysler - Jeep - Dodge also fitted in Mitsubishi's of the same years. 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/Oelkaennchen/Radiofront.jpg

RBK - the is the non-EURO RBK version, is not the one in my car, the Huntsville RBK and has only 6 buttons.

Its confusing, most of any info is only available on American sites and they will never have seen the Euro Wagon spec stereo heads, and would never need to - why would they ! For example there's zero on the REK and yet there must be millions in scrapyards from Belgium to Birmingham, equally there's zero on the REK on any site in the world including Europe which is precisely where in the world they were all shipped to and sold in, and in the case of the REK Chrysler broke their own golden 3 letter rule and did not put the sales code on the front of the set. There seem to be different  three letter sales codes, but whatever it is its clearly a version of the RAZ additionally the head [pic #3] seems to have been manufactured in Hungary not Huntsville. The RBU and RAZ are almost completely identical in appearance. Every single button and control is the same (except that the Eject button is above or below the time setting buttons); the graphics are identical but in different locations. You’d never know the RAZ was a Mitsubishi while the RBU is an Alpine. (Jim Z. also noted that the RBU is the same as the RBP stereo, except the RBU has dual play capability and a transmitter for headphones, so you can play the radio over the speakers while listening to a CD on headphones. That means I could just as easily have used an RBP.)

Edited by QinteQ

One 'smoggy' says to another .. .. .. HiYa Gadge,

If you scroll to the bottom of this page there's a huge repository of knowledge and pictorial represented info. Still the warning in #8 on non-Euro information applies. Mine and most from 05 onward [05 for the first half of 2005 & 55 for the second half of 2005] also has a 6 disk CD auto-changer P05064003AH, as far as I'm aware all the limited editions have both the DVD head unit and extra separate 6 CD changer.

Idea's here for which overhead unit you have, in this case they are all factory Mopar units. Put up a photo of the overhead and the remote control and assuming they are factory units we will try to work out for you which dual channel IR phones you need.

Edited by QinteQ