Fuel Filter 2006 2.8Crd

nathanevans

Question

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how easy it is to replace the fuel filter on a 2006 2.8crd? I think mine needs doing as its cutting out when accelerating but without any warning lights or limp mode and I've read a few threads that say to start there first.

So, if someone is able to explain just how easy or difficult it is I'll give it a go as there is a discount on eurocarparts atm.

Cheers!

Edited by nathanevans

7 answers to this question

Hi there,

Not sure if the 2006 is the same as my 2005 2.8CRD but I've done a youtube video on changing the filter on mine (It's underneath by the fuel tank) so take a look and see if it matches: https://www.youtube.com/andybrown2000

DO NOT blindly trust euro's car part identification, if you put your reg in it'll actually show both fuel filters, the can type (like an oil filter) and also the thin/flat filter itself which is the one by the tank (in the pump assembly) so physically check yours first to make sure you get the right one.

Mine is engine bay, I already had the OSF wheel off to check brakes, its a straight spin-on. REM to (1) give it a lick of oil and a tight nip on the 0 ring (2) make double sure the white plastic water valve is hand-nipped tight (3) and (4) you can pre-fill the filter and get the LP fuel line up to pressure with the hand pump button which is easy-reach centre between the back of the rad and the front of the engine. Best of luck.

I had to tighten mines, easily accessed from beneath once the undertray is off.

I unplugged the connection on the filter head whilst I was in there, and used my phone to take a photo of inside the connection to check for damage as well. Damage in there can suggest a cracked filter head, although you would probably see evidence of it on the connection you've disconnected too. 

Final thing to mention is make sure that you get an o ring off. They can sometimes stick on and if you put the new filter on, complete with new o ring, you could end up with two in there. 

http://www.lcool.org/technical/120_series/fuel_filter/filter2a.jpg

Your spin-on filter [below] question was answered here just 2 days ago. Yes its the only filter. Before you change it hand-pump the primer before you try to start the car on the battery [see here] if its already hard that's good, if it needs more than 1 pump check the  filter + water trap for tightness before you put the new one on. A slack spin-on or slack water trap is a prime cause of your other problem.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ipkAAOxyY9VRQXh4/s-l400.jpg