Flat Battery Help Needed

jackb

Question

hey guys new to the forum and to owning a Chrysler. currently travelling round australia in my newly purchased grand voyager and other than a few issues its proving to be a decent motor.

so somehow managed to leave my stereo on last night and have run the battery down flat. 

ironically i have ordered a jump pack but which was supposed to turn up yesterday but hasn't got here. furthermore i purchased breakdown cover but apparently cant call anyone out for another 2 days as the policy is  too new and the cover only started yesterday

anyway the friend im staying with has battery a 12v charger but my car is too far away to plug the charger in whilst the battery is still in the vehicle

my question is...

if i remove the battery to bring it inside and charge it will i encounter any problems with the immobiliser timing out/ reseting if i take the battery out for too long ? ? ive had it happen before with my friends renault clio so i just want to make sure im not going to cause myself further issues by removing the battery. 

any advice on this issue would be greatly received. trying to get this sorted out as quickly as possible as im supposed to be heading up to the mountains today for some hill walking. 

6 answers to this question

I've had my battery out a couple of times overnight and have never had any problems when I've refitted it, so you should be fine.

My radio is also able to be accidentally left on, as it has power all the time even although it shouldn't have. It would also drain the battery when off.

Short term, I've disconnected the live feed it shouldn't have, longer term, I should really find out where it's getting it from, but I'll probably just fit a switch so I can isolate it. 

If yours is the same issue as mines, the digital clock on the radio will always be on, and the electric windows will work all the time as well. 

Edited by soupstone

HiYa bignev, yes the 4th Gen went onto a whole new CAN-BUS with the introduction of SATNAV's and other electronic controls many previously unavailable personal preference 'log's' such as his 'n hers radio stations and his 'n hers default memorised FAV locations etc which were written to memory across the new CAN-BUS.

Fifth generation

I have a 2005 grand voyager I found the required battery that fits in the tray is double the cost of same size battery as it has high output

The big problem is so much electric gadgets such as electric doors ,tail gate ,seats etc and the amount of interior lights suck the power Imagine you pull up with all your family on board apply park brake engage neutral switch off engine ,then both electric doors open then all the interior lights come on then you close the electric doors ,open the tailgate to get the bags out lights come on again close the tailgate and then operate the locking system ,well since you stopped the engine you used a fair bit of the stored battery power and the electronic moduals will still be "dozing off " and will use a bit off power in stand by mode till you unlock the car again

So when you start up you have a battery that is less than 75% when it needs to be close to 100%

I got fed up with getting the jump leads or the boost pack out so I fitted a second battery and some electronics now I have a slave battery that fits nice behind the right panel at the rear of the car near the tailgate a cable runs to the front and when I stop the car the relays turn off the main battery and all runs on the aux battery when I switch on the key I'm connected to a fully charged main battery as the voltage rises after startup a split charge relay charges th aux battery