Help With Rb3?

mike213735

Question

Hi all,

I've recently bought a 2006 GV with the RB3 stereo / Sat nav.

I didn't have a disc with it so I bought one on ebay. When the disc arrives, it came with an update CD that had to be carried out first. I did the update and the stereo rebooted. It then continued to install with the percentage rising. When it got to 100%, it said it needed to reboot agaon, counted down from 3 and switched off. It has not come on since and I can't turn it on.

I have tried a soft reset (seek down, nav and eject) and I've tried disconnecting the battery for 30 mins and still nothing.

Have I buggered it to the point where I need to buy another stereo or is it recoverable.

Thanks in advance

Mike

6 answers to this question

--EDIT-- Apologies, I had written the reply and realised you did a full battery pull for 30 minutes, which should have done the same, in which case it doesn't sound hopeful for the radio I'm afraid. Not sure what else you can try, does it even light up/show and signs of life when you reconnected the battery?

Hi Mike,

Firstly, I'm a little puzzled as I thought the 2006 voyager had a newer radio in it than the RB3, so just to check it's this one:

http://a0.amlimg.com/ZjBlOGQyNGNmYzYwMDljMjViN2VmNjAxZjk2NzQ5ZjL4DBEDXDP_iHq8Q5Mlj_dLaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vYzU2ZmI1M2FhMmQyNWI5OTUyYmE2NGU2MmQwZDU5ODIwNzMyYzkwNzg1Yjg2YzUzNjUxYzgwYjFjNmVlMzEyZS5qcGd8fHx8fHw3MDB4NDY2fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

And the disc was a navigation CD? (BTW: The navigation is pointless as it's so out of date! So I'd not worry about bothering with it!)

So, what it sounds like is it's crashed, hopefully not corrupting the firmware in the process. I'd go with a total clear of it, so go under the bonnet, right hand side into the fusebox and pull the fuse marked IOD (Close to you as you face the car from front) and also the fuse marked "RDO/IP IGN 20 amp".

These will kill power to it without having to remove the radio, and leave it for 5-10 minutes. Afterwards connect back up and ignition on and see what you get, if you're lucky it'll power back up. Otherwise it may have damaged it in some way (Highly unlikely).

Good luck and remember to post back and let us know how you get on.

Edited by andyb2000

Hi thanks for the reply. Yes, it's definately that stereo.

No, it's totally dead. Even the flashing red light doesn't flash anymore.

I think it is dead....unless there's a mystery fuse somewhere that only powers the stereo?

Anyone got an RB3 for sale?

Thanks

Mike

Edited by mike213735

Hi all,

I've recently bought a 2006 GV with the RB3 stereo / Sat nav.

I didn't have a disc with it so I bought one on ebay. When the disc arrives, it came with an update CD that had to be carried out first. I did the update and the stereo rebooted. It then continued to install with the percentage rising. When it got to 100%, it said it needed to reboot agaon, counted down from 3 and switched off. It has not come on since and I can't turn it on.

I have tried a soft reset (seek down, nav and eject) and I've tried disconnecting the battery for 30 mins and still nothing.

Have I buggered it to the point where I need to buy another stereo or is it recoverable.

Thanks in advance

Mike

The radio restarts itself you don't have to touch the ignition. Maybe your local dealer has something to do to it.

--EDIT-- Apologies, I had written the reply and realised you did a full battery pull for 30 minutes, which should have done the same, in which case it doesn't sound hopeful for the radio I'm afraid. Not sure what else you can try, does it even light up/show and signs of life when you reconnected the battery?

Hi Mike,

Firstly, I'm a little puzzled as I thought the 2006 voyager had a newer radio in it than the RB3, so just to check it's this one:

http://a0.amlimg.com/ZjBlOGQyNGNmYzYwMDljMjViN2VmNjAxZjk2NzQ5ZjL4DBEDXDP_iHq8Q5Mlj_dLaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vYzU2ZmI1M2FhMmQyNWI5OTUyYmE2NGU2MmQwZDU5ODIwNzMyYzkwNzg1Yjg2YzUzNjUxYzgwYjFjNmVlMzEyZS5qcGd8fHx8fHw3MDB4NDY2fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

And the disc was a navigation CD? (BTW: The navigation is pointless as it's so out of date! So I'd not worry about bothering with it!)

So, what it sounds like is it's crashed, hopefully not corrupting the firmware in the process. I'd go with a total clear of it, so go under the bonnet, right hand side into the fusebox and pull the fuse marked IOD (Close to you as you face the car from front) and also the fuse marked "RDO/IP IGN 20 amp".

These will kill power to it without having to remove the radio, and leave it for 5-10 minutes. Afterwards connect back up and ignition on and see what you get, if you're lucky it'll power back up. Otherwise it may have damaged it in some way (Highly unlikely).

Good luck and remember to post back and let us know how you get on.

Why's your radio black and blue? Its supposed to have a white background with blue buttons. is there any option to modify that, as it's not the first one I see with this color scheme. 

Why's your radio black and blue? Its supposed to have a white background with blue buttons. is there any option to modify that, as it's not the first one I see with this color scheme. 

Mine is also black and blue, but only for a short time before it turns itself off. If yours works, think yourself lucky irrespective of colour  B)