Alloys Wheels Get Hot

Deano1324

Question

14 answers to this question

Hi Deano1324,

Most commonly this is because the brakes are sticking on, causing them to get hot (by friction) and this is dissipated through the allow wheels.

Have you just had brake pads or discs changed by any chance? If so you might have a caliper starting to stick on, or the pads are binding. A bit of copper slip on the sliding components on the pads, and a replacement/refurb on your caliper should do the job.

Hope that helps!

Hi any sliding parts on the calipers should only have silicone brake grease. Also give the edges of the pads a file to get any paint off and so they are free in the caliper. Copper slip isnt as good as it used to be as it goes all gundgy so it makes everything stick. So silicone grease is now the way to go. Plus your wheels they will get warm due to friction from the road and the heat transfers from the normal braking of the vehicle

Have a check on your handbrake adjustment also just drop the rear wheels off and just make sure the brake pads are sitting correctly. When i do mine the brake pad with the piece od spring steel on it i normally bend it so to release some of the pressure when it sits in the calliper. As iv seen them stick and cause the rear brakes to bind

My NSR wheel was getting super hot and smoking, also smelt quite bad. I've decided its not the bearing (I always start with the worst case scenario), so I've done a bit of fiddling around and decided its a sticky caliper piston. I've managed to take the thing apart after fighting with the caliper as the pads were solid against the disc.  I've only just bought the car and it wasn't great when I got it, but now I've pumped it out and sprayed it up with WD40 to loosen the rubber a bit to keep me going til I find a new caliper (anyone know where I can find one?). But now I can't get that bloody piston back in. Anybody got any ideas?

3.3 Grand Voyager LE 99/00.